Bridged Network freezes linux host

Discussions related to using VirtualBox on Linux hosts.
xxxmoscoxxx

Bridged Network freezes linux host

Post by xxxmoscoxxx »

Hi, this is my first post.

I have an issue with my linux host: if i switch network mode from NAT to Bridged, at the first network load the system hangs completely, and it's needed to force it to reboot.

I'm running Virtualbox 6.1.22 r144080 on Manjaro linux, kernel 5.10.42-1
Machine is a Huawei Matebook D 13 ryzen
mpack
Site Moderator
Primary OS: MS Windows 10
VBox Version: PUEL
Guest OSses: Mostly XP

Re: Bridged Network freezes linux host

Post by mpack »

Bridged does not always work correctly with a WiFi connection, but I've never heard of it hanging.

Please provide a VM log file. Make sure the VM is fully shut down, then right click it in the manager UI. Select "Show Log" and save "VBox.log" (no other file) to a zip file. Attach the zip here.
xxxmoscoxxx

Post by xxxmoscoxxx »

Thanks for the answer, it worked flawlessy on my previous laptop: a "basic" amd apu with a bradcom chip.

But with this laptop ia impossible to use, i'm trying to setup an OMV installation with no luck. It works only in NAT but is obviously inaccessible from the host...

I'll try to provide the log tomorrow
xxxmoscoxxx

Post by xxxmoscoxxx »

New installation (with NAT) of OMV, switched to bridgeg mode and booted. it hasn't reached even the login screen..
Attachments
OMV5-2021-07-12-05-59-24.log
(68 KiB) Downloaded 12 times
mpack
Site Moderator

Post by mpack »

That looks like a serious error, but I have no idea what it is. The only thing I do see is over-committment of the CPU. Your CPU has 4 cores total, meaning you can't afford to assign 4 of your cores to a VM. Change this to 2.

But, I don't expect that will make a difference. Perhaps a Linux host user will recognize these symptoms.
xxxmoscoxxx

Post by xxxmoscoxxx »

I found the culptrit: is the wifi card. I tried with a usb wifi and it works without an itch....
now it's an annoying problem
mpack
Site Moderator

Post by mpack »

You can't really blame the WiFi card. You are trying to do something that is outside the WiFi spec - WiFi devices are not inherently multidrop like Ethernet is. However it is often the case that the WiFi driver stack supports this anyway, because the stack is written in such a way that the back end can be either an Ethernet or WiFi chipset.

Basically, if you need to do something that requires Bridged Networking, consider using a cable connection. Or configure NAT with port forwarding instead.
xxxmoscoxxx

Post by xxxmoscoxxx »

I need to setup OMV NAS environment, so i need to access the guest via web-ui and ssh.
Ethernet is not an option, i'd like to do it in "mobility".
Is possible to access the guest via NAT and port forwarding? I'd like to know more
scottgus1
Site Moderator
Guest OSses: Windows, Linux

Post by scottgus1 »

xxxmoscoxxx wrote:Is possible to access the guest via NAT and port forwarding?
Yes, see Virtualbox Networks: In Pictures: NAT

Note that NAT and NAT Network are similar but with different setups. If you're running only one VM, use NAT.
xxxmoscoxxx

Post by xxxmoscoxxx »

Many thanks! I'll read the guide carefully.

At the moment i'm "stuck" with my windows desktop to experiment with OMV, but i don't have a lot of free time and i need to have a portable VM to "play" everytime i have the occasion.
scottgus1
Site Moderator
Guest OSses: Windows, Linux

Post by scottgus1 »

A truly portable VM will be best run with NAT. Bridged will require a resetting of the VM's IP address depending on location, because Bridged lets the VM get IP from the LAN. NAT keeps the VM separate from the LAN so it always "just works".

If you can figure out port-forwarding through NAT then you should be able to run the VM just about anywhere.

a web UI and an SSH should be easily accessed through port forwards through NAT. The NAS part, if you intend to store things in the VM and allow the host or the LAN to access them, might be a bit harder, but if you can find out what ports to open it should still work.
xxxmoscoxxx

Post by xxxmoscoxxx »

Today i had some "minutes" of spare time and i tried to port forwarding the services i need: SSH, webUI and Docker. It "seems" to works...
I don't need to use as a true NAS, i have a real server for this, but i need a VM for testing docker images, settings etc without worrying about broke something (and in the last days i managed to "destroy" a VM installation) :?

In the next day i leave for a vacation with my family, but as soon as possible i'll give you a feedback.

Thanks!