virtualbox crash with kernel 5.13

Discussions related to using VirtualBox on Linux hosts.
illulix

virtualbox crash with kernel 5.13

Post by illulix »

Hi,
on a Opensuse tumbleweed system Virtualbox (OR Kernel?) crashes after starting a VM.

Linux burdon 5.13.0-4.gaa40472-default #1 SMP Fri Jul 2 05:54:32 UTC 2021 (aa40472) x86_64 x86_64 x86_64 GNU/Linux

Kernel messages are:
Message from syslogd@burdon at Jul 7 16:56:57 ...
kernel:[ 335.142093]
kernel:[ 335.142093]
kernel:[ 335.142093] !!Assertion Failed!!
kernel:[ 335.142093] Expression: pCritSect->s.Core.NativeThreadOwner == hNativeSelf
kernel:[ 335.142093] Expression: pCritSect->s.Core.NativeThreadOwner == hNativeSelf
kernel:[ 335.142093] Location : /home/vbox/vbox-6.1.22/src/VBox/VMM/VMMAll/PDMAllCritSect.cpp(579) int PDMCritSectLeave(PPDMCRITSECT)
kernel:[ 335.142093] Location : /home/vbox/vbox-6.1.22/src/VBox/VMM/VMMAll/PDMAllCritSect.cpp(579) int PDMCritSectLeave(PPDMCRITSECT)
kernel:[ 335.142134] ffffaca9c9a7a000 <R3_STRING>: ffffffffffffffff != 00007f49235fe640; cLockers=-1 cNestings=1
kernel:[ 335.142134] ffffaca9c9a7a000 <R3_STRING>: ffffffffffffffff != 00007f49235fe640; cLockers=-1 cNestings=1

see also attached logs.
Please give me any hints to solve this Problem.
Regards
Bernd
scottgus1
Site Moderator
Primary OS: MS Windows 10
VBox Version: PUEL
Guest OSses: Windows, Linux

Re: virtualbox crash with kernel 5.13

Post by scottgus1 »

Did 5.13 just come out? If so the devs will need time to develop for it.
illulix

Post by illulix »

Hi,
the kernel sources are dated 2.7.21.
so are they too new?
bernd
scottgus1
Site Moderator
Primary OS: MS Windows 10
Guest OSses: Windows, Linux

Post by scottgus1 »

I'm not a Linux guru in any way, so I couldn't say for certain. Check that you took care of the prerequisites for Linux Virtualbox https://www.virtualbox.org/manual/ch02. ... nux-prereq then try reinstalling Virtualbox and see if the terminal text shows any error messages.
fth0
Volunteer
Primary OS: Mac OS X other
Guest OSses: Linux, Windows 10, ...

Post by fth0 »

illulix wrote:Please give me any hints to solve this Problem.
Perhaps you can give us some hints to better understand this problem, which could be related to any kind of virtual hardware that is provided to the VM. Can you remove the virtual hardware components that you control (e.g. audio devices, network adapters, graphics adapters), and test if and/or when the problem does not occur any more?

In addition to that, please post a zipped VBox.log file (you didn't succeed with that in your initial posting).

PS: Linux kernel 5.13 is not supported by VirtualBox 6.1.22. The upcoming VirtualBox 6.1.24 is expected to support it.
illulix

Post by illulix »

Ok,
the VM I wanted to start had audio and network disabled. Now I still have usb the graphics controller and 'Shared Folders' disabled. I hope that I have understood this correctly. I had already attached the logfile via 'upload attachment' but it was not there. I hope it works now.
When will VirtualBox 6.1.24 be released?

Thanks a lot
bernd
Attachments
VBox.log.zip
Logfile
(43.03 KiB) Downloaded 9 times
fth0
Volunteer

Post by fth0 »

Thank you for providing the VBox.log file. In addition to the crash info, it shows that you have enabled nested virtualization (System > Processor > Nested VT-x/AMD-V). Why did you do that? Do you have KVM running on your host?
illulix wrote:I hope that I have understood this correctly.
The kernel messages, which you provided, indicated that there was an issue in the PDM (Pluggable Device Manager), but they didn't show which device was responsible. To narrow it down, my idea was to eliminate components from the VM configuration to exclude them from the long list of suspects. I don't know (yet) if the VirtualBox developers can reproduce the issue, and if they cannot, they may need help.
illulix wrote:When will VirtualBox 6.1.24 be released?
I'd expect it to be released around July 20th 2021, but there is no guarantee.
illulix

Post by illulix »

Hi,
for testing i installed Version 6.1.23 from Testbuilds
It crashed too.
KVM is installed, but not used. I have Nested VT-x/AMD-V disabled for now.
see logs.
>>to eliminate components from the VM configuration
which components do you mean? and how do i eliminate? :)
Attachments
2021-07-08-13-54_VBox.log.zip
2021-07-08-13-54_VBox.log
(39.54 KiB) Downloaded 4 times
screenshot
screenshot
VM-Error_2021-07-08_13-54-04.png (100.85 KiB) Viewed 8511 times
fth0
Volunteer

Post by fth0 »

Thanks for testing with VirtualBox 6.1.23r145326. You've successfully eliminated nested virtualization from my list of suspects. :)

Regarding removing devices or eliminating components, you did what I meant, by disabling devices in the VM configuration (you probably overlooked the 2nd network adapter, BTW ;)). But I'm not so sure any more that it will help to identify the source of the crash, because it happened very early when the VirtualBox BIOS was merely started.
fth0
Volunteer

Post by fth0 »

In the meantime, I've heard that the VirtualBox devs cannot reproduce the issue by using a vanilla Linux kernel 5.13 alone. So the current difficulty is to find out what is necessary to reproduce the crash. If you have time (no hurry), I'd suggest to do some quick experiments:

Create a new simple VM, without even adding a virtual hard disk, and try to start it. Does it crash or do you get the VM window with the "System halted." prompt? If you got the prompt, close the VM window, add a virtual hard disk to the VM configuration, and try to start it again. Does it crash then? If it crashes, create a new VM selecting another guest OS type. Does it crash then? If it doesn't crash, try to make it more similar to your WindowsXP VM, until it crashes. If you cannot get it to crash, post the WindowsXP.vbox file and the .vbox file of the latest test VM for comparison.

Explanation: Your WindowsXP VM already crashed when starting to execute the VirtualBox BIOS, so the virtual hard disk was never read from. This also means that you do not have to install any guest OS to the VM during the experiments suggested above.

Another question, just to be sure: When you produced the crashes within the VBox.log files, did you also get the kernel messages on the host, or are we talking about two independent types of crashes?
illulix

Post by illulix »

fth0 wrote:In the meantime, I've heard that the VirtualBox devs cannot reproduce the issue by using a vanilla Linux kernel 5.13 alone. So the current difficulty is to find out what is necessary to reproduce the crash. If you have time (no hurry), I'd suggest to do some quick experiments:

Create a new simple VM, without even adding a virtual hard disk, and try to start it. Does it crash or do you get the VM window with the "System halted."

Ok, i got the prompt

prompt? If you got the prompt, close the VM window, add a virtual hard disk to the VM configuration, and try to start it again. Does it crash then? If it crashes,

It crashed (OS: windows 7)

create a new VM selecting another guest OS type. Does it crash then?

crashed too (OS: linux)

If it doesn't crash,

i created a new VM with OS Winxp and Hard Disk with winxp iso
it crashed too.

try to make it more similar to your WindowsXP VM, until it crashes. If you cannot get it to crash, post the WindowsXP.vbox file and the .vbox file of the latest test VM for comparison.

Ok, first crashed without booting, then i try again, windows setup is starting and then it crashed again :(
see logs
[...]
Another question, just to be sure: When you produced the crashes within the VBox.log files, did you also get the kernel messages on the host, or are we talking about two independent types of crashes?
i always get this messages in a root console (and /var/log/messages)
see log

And one more note: All VM's I have have the same error. No matter which OS.

I see your location is germany. Now the english language is not my biggest strength :) (the postings here were partly translated by DeepL). Could we continue the conversation in german?

thank you :)
Attachments
210709_10-30_Vbox.log.zip
second vbox.log
(52.13 KiB) Downloaded 5 times
09-07-21-10_21_Vbox.log.zip
VBox.log
(42.7 KiB) Downloaded 3 times
09-07-21-10_04_crashtest2.vbox.zip
vbox file
(1.23 KiB) Downloaded 4 times
illulix

Post by illulix »

in addition to my last posting, here is another vbox file attached
Attachments
210709_10-30_crashtest2.vbox.zip
second vbox file
(1.32 KiB) Downloaded 6 times
fth0
Volunteer

Post by fth0 »

illulix wrote:Could we continue the conversation in german?
Können wir gerne machen, aber ab und zu muss ich den Erkenntnisstand auch in Englisch schreiben, falls mal ein VirtualBox-Entwickler mitliest. Ich habe übrigens keinen Unterschied bemerkt zwischen einem nicht perfekt Englisch sprechendem Menschen und DeepL. ;)

Ich versuche mal zusammenzufassen: (1) Die originale WindowXP VM stürzt sehr früh ab. (2) Eine Test-VM ohne virtuelle Festplatte stürzt gar nicht ab, obwohl sie weiter kommt als die originale VM. (3) Und eine Test-VM mit leerer virtueller Festplatte und Windows-XP-ISO stürzt geringfügig später ab als die originale VM. Punkt (2) kommt mir bisher am interessantesten vor.

Kannst Du bitte einmal zwei neue Test-VMs ohne virtuelle Festplatte und ohne ISO-Datei erzeugen (OS: Windows XP (32-bit) und Windows XP (64-bit)), und beide mehrfach im Wechsel mit der originalen VM starten? Und dann bitte jeweils eine VBox.log Datei posten, auch wenn die VMs nicht abstürzen?

Bitte die VBox.log Dateien erst kopieren, nachdem Du den Guru-Dialog geschlossen hast, damit sie auch die Statistiken enthalten.
fth0
Volunteer

Post by fth0 »

Zwei weitere Experimente (bitte unabhängig voneinander durchführen, gerne auch vor den Tests in meinem vorherigen Posting):

1. Starte den Host mit dem Linux Kernel Parameter nohugevmalloc. Kannst Du den Crash dann noch reproduzieren? Starte den Host danach erneut, aber ohne den zusätzlichen Linux Kernel Parameter.

2. Ändere die VM-Konfiguration mit

Code: Select all

VBoxManage setextradata "wxpsp2-play" "VBoxInternal/RamPreAlloc" 1
Kannst Du den Crash dann noch reproduzieren? Ändere die VM-Konfiguration wieder zurück mit

VBoxManage setextradata "wxpsp2-play" "VBoxInternal/RamPreAlloc"
illulix

Post by illulix »

fth0 wrote:Zwei weitere Experimente (bitte unabhängig voneinander durchführen, gerne auch vor den Tests in meinem vorherigen Posting):

1. Starte den Host mit dem Linux Kernel Parameter nohugevmalloc. Kannst Du den Crash dann noch reproduzieren? Starte den Host danach erneut, aber ohne den zusätzlichen Linux Kernel Parameter.
Das hat leider nix gebracht
cmdline:

BOOT_IMAGE=/boot/vmlinuz-5.13.1-1.gbebf622-default root=UUID=ae49bea1-36a2-4f52-ac85-9b27bfe43118 resume=/dev/disk/by-label/SWAP_M2 splash=verbose showopts usbcore.autosuspend=-1 rd.convertfs rd.convertfs rd.convertfs processor.max_cstate=5 rcu_nocbs=0-11 mitigations=auto nohugevmalloc
fth0 wrote: 2. Ändere die VM-Konfiguration mit

VBoxManage setextradata "wxpsp2-play" "VBoxInternal/RamPreAlloc" 1
Kannst Du den Crash dann noch reproduzieren? Ändere die VM-Konfiguration wieder zurück mit

VBoxManage setextradata "wxpsp2-play" "VBoxInternal/RamPreAlloc"
Damit ist zwar der Fehler nicht aufgetreten, aber die VM ist nicht gestartet (schwarzer Bildschirm)

Ich habe inzwischen auch mal den Vanilla Kernel 5.13.1.1 installiert und es damit versucht, leider ohne Erfolg :(

Danke einstweilen :))