Manjaro host, Acronis app on Guest VMDK Win10

Discussions related to using VirtualBox on Linux hosts.
lpmanjaro

Manjaro host, Acronis app on Guest VMDK Win10

Post by lpmanjaro »

I use Acronis to backup my windows (I like the incremental feature) to a backup disk. I backup running windows 10 raw native and Acronis is happy.
Yet should I start the same Windows 10 (With Acronis app installed) as a VMDK guest under a linux host, Acronis complains that it is not authorized to run as the Windows app.
Acronis complains just as soon as I start VMDK Windows, I do NOT auto start Acronis. (Oh, by the way I'm running Acronis 2021, Virtualbox 6.1.22 with 6.1.22 extension and 6.1.22 guest additions installed on windows.)

I have an open ticket with Acronis, as it's is my opnion that the issue is a Acronis issue.

The question is, has anyone one else experienced this issue ?
scottgus1
Site Moderator
Primary OS: MS Windows 10
VBox Version: PUEL
Guest OSses: Windows, Linux

Re: Manjaro host, Acronis app on Guest VMDK Win10

Post by scottgus1 »

Haven't had this happen to me, as I don't run Acronis, but here is an idea what might be happening: The 'hardware' is different between native and Virtualbox, so activation may be breaking. Also, if Acronis wants to keep their program from running in a VM they can. At which point you switch to Macrium. :lol:
lpmanjaro wrote:Acronis complains just as soon as I start VMDK Windows
This is probably a background Acronis service that starts with Windows.
mpack
Site Moderator
Guest OSses: Mostly XP

Post by mpack »

scottgus1 wrote: This is probably a background Acronis service that starts with Windows.
Agreed. I switched to Macrium a while back, but I assume that Macrium's competitors keep up with similar features. In particular there will be background services that load on boot (or user login) which check for software updates and which stand ready to mount a backup image as a virtual drive.

And of course I assume the underlying problem is understood: that Acronis must be node locked to the host hardware and notices that the VM hardware is different.
lpmanjaro

Post by lpmanjaro »

Thanks for the suggestion, I'll look into Macrium. Acronis and I have come to a parting of the ways, as I've moved to Manjaro. Enough of the Windows "stuff" as 11 will be a hassle I don't need.
mpack
Site Moderator
Guest OSses: Mostly XP

Post by mpack »

lpmanjaro wrote:Enough of the Windows "stuff" ...
Macrium is also a Windows app. I'm not aware of a Linux app that's up to Macrium standards.

It's early days, but Win11 still sounds to me like more of a marketing rebrand than a new OS. Besides which, all my clients are using Windows, so setting sail to Linuxland is not an option for me.

I do like the XFCE Version of Manjoro tho, at least in my brief plays with it.