Problems to access web interface from host (networking)

Discussions related to using VirtualBox on Linux hosts.
calcifer

Problems to access web interface from host (networking)

Post by calcifer »

Hello,

I have an Ubuntu 20.04 host and a VirtualBox version 6.1.

In the Virtualbox I succesfully installed another Linux guest (OpenVAS vulnerability scanner). This Linux guest comes with a web interface which can be accessed from the host browser by entering the local IP (192.168.x.x) of the OpenVAS guest.

All that works fine within my normal home network. I can also ping the guest from the host and vice versa.

Problem:
For special testing purposes I need to give the Ethernet interface of the Ubuntu host an unusual IP (212.1.1.251) and class A subnet (255.0.0.0). I also have to change the WiFi adapter to Ethernet. It must have this IP (for scanning an embedded device.

Now I tried to give the Linux guest (OpenVAS) another IP in the same range and subnet 212.1.1.230/8.

In the Virtual Box network settings of the guest I changed the "bridged adapter" to the ethernet interface and "Promiscous mode" to "Allow All".

Unfortunately, the web interface to the guest is not working anymore and I am also not able to ping the guest from the host and vice versa.

I do something wrong or I have overseen something. I am thankful for any help or tips. If I change the settings back to the my standard local network and the WiFi interface all works fine again (but I can't scan what I want to scan).
scottgus1
Site Moderator
Primary OS: MS Windows 10
VBox Version: PUEL
Guest OSses: Windows, Linux

Re: Problems to access web interface from host (networking)

Post by scottgus1 »

Bridged will only work on a wired Ethernet adapter if the adapter is 'up', that is, if it is connected such that the adapter lights are blinking. The device you connect to does not have to be a compatible IP address range, but there has to be something connected.

Have you got such a device connected to the Ethernet adapter?
calcifer

Post by calcifer »

Thank you scottgus1!

You were right. The network adapter was Down. After connecting "something" and checking with

ip a show Adapter

all works fine as expected.

Thanks again! :D
scottgus1
Site Moderator
Primary OS: MS Windows 10
VBox Version: PUEL
Guest OSses: Windows, Linux

Post by scottgus1 »

Great! Glad you're up and running.