Windows 10 guest freezes, Ubuntu host ignores mouse.

Discussions related to using VirtualBox on Linux hosts.
Ojaru

Windows 10 guest freezes, Ubuntu host ignores mouse.

Post by Ojaru »

Hello!

I have been using VBox for a while without major problems, but this time, it's really
becoming difficult, I have to reboot everything, stop windows guest, reboot Ubuntu many times
a day.

What happens:
1. I start Ubuntu (latest version - 21.04).
2. I start windows 10.
3. I use mainly 2 programs on Windows10, that don't exist on Linux.
CamBam (generating command files for a CNC machine)
GPilot, using the above files to steer a CNC machine.

Sometimes, I can use windows for a few hours, then at some point, it becomes unresponsive
and ignores mouse commands, but it can get some keyboard commands, so I press briefly
on the PC on button, I get a panel saying that I have running program, asking whether I'm sure.
As the mous is not responsive, using tab, I select the "yes" button to "stop anyway", and the
windows guest closes.

Then the problem is that I cannot start program on Linux. I can move the mouse, select,
get the contextual menu, etc... but for instance choosing an item for a contextual menu
doesn't work, nothing responds. I can't even stop the PC cleanly using the menus, the only
way I found is a long push on the power button.

Does anyone know what happens? Is it because I have upgraded to Ubuntu 21?

Thanks
scottgus1
Site Moderator
Primary OS: MS Windows 10
VBox Version: PUEL
Guest OSses: Windows, Linux

Re: Windows 10 guest freezes, Ubuntu host ignores mouse.

Post by scottgus1 »

If this wasn't happening before the upgrade to 21, then it's probably something wrong in the upgrade to 21.

Does the seize-up only happen when you're running the VM? If so, try uninstalling Virtualbox, install the prerequisites https://www.virtualbox.org/manual/ch02. ... nux-prereq then reinstall Virtualbox.

If it occurs when the VM is off too, it could be something more wrong with the host OS.