Change 32b Win10 client to 64Bit

Discussions related to using VirtualBox on Linux hosts.
hornetster
Primary OS: openSUSE
VBox Version: OSE other
Guest OSses: Win10

Change 32b Win10 client to 64Bit

Post by hornetster »

As the topic says (and I have found a couple of OLD posts re this, but nothing new-ish), is it possible to change a 32bit Win10 client to a 64bit?
Realise I would have to basically reinstall the OS (and that's another issue as far as Microsoft allowing an update... but they SHOULD, seeing as how they don't do 32bit anymore...?), but if I can update the VM to 64 bit, at least then I could install the 64bit update.
Yes, it has been a fully licenced VM since the days of Win8, so if I can't do this, assuming I will lose the licence?

Thanks.
mpack
Site Moderator
Primary OS: MS Windows 10
VBox Version: PUEL
Guest OSses: Mostly XP

Re: Change 32b Win10 client to 64Bit

Post by mpack »

hornetster wrote:As the topic says (and I have found a couple of OLD posts re this, but nothing new-ish), is it possible to change a 32bit Win10 client to a 64bit?
It's trivial to go onto the VM settings and change the guest OS version. Is there something extra to your question?

As you say, this will change the VM capabilities, it will not change the installed OS, which will still be 32bit.

As far as I know there has never been a way to update 32bit Windows to 64bit Windows. That option has always required a clean reinstall - and if you do that then I don't know why you wouldn't just create a new VM: you aren't going to preserve the activation status of the old VM, and anyway it will require a new product key.
hornetster wrote:seeing as how they don't do 32bit anymore...?)
I don't know about Win11, but Win10 and earlier certainly still have 32bit versions. What's more the Win10-32bit version still has NTVDM as an optional feature, meaning you can still run 16bit code in Win10.
hornetster wrote:assuming I will lose the licence?
AFAIK a 32bit product key would not work for a 64bit install. I believe they are different products.
multiOS
Volunteer
Primary OS: Mac OS X other
Guest OSses: WIN11,10, 7, Linux (various)

Post by multiOS »

Prior to Windows 10, 32-bit and 64-bit installations both did need a 'dedicated' Activation Keys, but this is not the case for Windows 10, as it's one Windows 10 licence per device.

To switch between 32-bit and 64-bit:

1. Make sure you have full Backups of your existing VM and all User data in case of problems.

2. Download the appropriate 64-bit ISO image from Microsoft and attach the ISO to your VM as normal for a new installation.

3. Change the VM Template to 64-bit and boot into the installation process, making sure the VM starts from the installation ISO; select “Custom install” on the options screen and choose to overwrite your current version of Windows - there should be an options to perform either a 'clean' installation and also one to keep existing user software and data. When you’re asked to insert a product key, skip the process and continue. You’ll have to skip two of these prompts in total. After you reach the desktop, Windows 10 should automatically check in with Microsoft and activate itself using the existing License (Digital Key).

5. You will probably also need to reinstall VirtualBox Guest Additions if you use them.

You can also switch from 64-bit to 32-bit using the same process, but obviously using a 32-bit ISO. This process is based on the standard procedure for installing/switching on 'real, hardware, which simply requires the user to confirm that the system is capable fo installing/running both 32-bit and 64-bit OS before attempting a switch. It's also similar to performing a Windows 10 'Feature Update' using an ISO.
mpack
Site Moderator
Primary OS: MS Windows 10
Guest OSses: Mostly XP

Post by mpack »

multiOS wrote:Prior to Windows 10, 32-bit and 64-bit installations both did need a 'dedicated' Activation Keys, but this is not the case for Windows 10, as it's one Windows 10 licence per device.
Yes, that's their preferred business model, but nope: AFAIK you can still buy product keys for Win10. I know because that's my preferred operating model. Admittedly it's been about 18 months since I last bought a key.
hornetster
Primary OS: openSUSE
VBox Version: OSE other
Guest OSses: Win10

Post by hornetster »

multiOS wrote:Prior to Windows 10, 32-bit and 64-bit installations both did need a 'dedicated' Activation Keys, but this is not the case for Windows 10, as it's one Windows 10 licence per device.

To switch between 32-bit and 64-bit:

1. Make sure you have full Backups of your existing VM and all User data in case of problems.

2. Download the appropriate 64-bit ISO image from Microsoft and attach the ISO to your VM as normal for a new installation.

3. Change the VM Template to 64-bit and boot into the installation process, making sure the VM starts from the installation ISO; select “Custom install” on the options screen and choose to overwrite your current version of Windows - there should be an options to perform either a 'clean' installation and also one to keep existing user software and data. When you’re asked to insert a product key, skip the process and continue. You’ll have to skip two of these prompts in total. After you reach the desktop, Windows 10 should automatically check in with Microsoft and activate itself using the existing License (Digital Key).

5. You will probably also need to reinstall VirtualBox Guest Additions if you use them.

You can also switch from 64-bit to 32-bit using the same process, but obviously using a 32-bit ISO. This process is based on the standard procedure for installing/switching on 'real, hardware, which simply requires the user to confirm that the system is capable fo installing/running both 32-bit and 64-bit OS before attempting a switch. It's also similar to performing a Windows 10 'Feature Update' using an ISO.
Yep, this works.
My main issue was I didn't realize you could just change the VM from 32>64 bit.
Works a treat.
Thanks for the reply.