BSOD during guest boot only if usb device connected

Discussions related to using VirtualBox on Linux hosts.
brainchild

BSOD during guest boot only if usb device connected

Post by brainchild »

A USB device (Pioneer BDR-XD07UHD) is configured for pass-through operation from a Linux host to a Windows 10 guest. The device appears to operate correctly with both the guest and host, except that the host will not boot as long as the device is connected. Once the guest has booted, and the device is subsequently connected, the guest operates with the device uneventfully.

Attached is the VirtualBox log for the failed boot of the guest.

Note that this same guest machine previously had a different problem booting, which was resolved as explained in the discussion.

Superficially, both problems have similar symptoms, including the guest display hanging on a black screen followed by one processor spinning to maximum utilization. Of course, they may be unrelated.
Attachments
vbox-log-brainchild.zip
(35.28 KiB) Downloaded 7 times
scottgus1
Site Moderator
Primary OS: MS Windows 10
VBox Version: PUEL
Guest OSses: Windows, Linux

Re: BSOD during guest boot only if usb device connected

Post by scottgus1 »

This log only runs for 10 seconds:
00:00:02.771099 xHCI: Hardware reset
00:00:02.923342 xHCI: Root hub-attached device reset completed with VINF_SUCCESS
00:00:02.923414 VUSB: 00007f304444d770[proxy 08e4:017a]: reset request is ignored, the device is already resetting!
00:00:02.924885 xHCI: USB Operational
00:00:03.025481 VUSB: 00007f304444d770[proxy 08e4:017a]: reset request is ignored, the device is already resetting!
00:00:03.083388 xHCI: Root hub-attached device reset completed with VINF_SUCCESS
00:00:10.340639 Changing the VM state from 'RUNNING' to 'SUSPENDING'
It does show the device but not the BSOD code. What was it?
brainchild

Post by brainchild »

scottgus1 wrote:This log only runs for 10 seconds:
It does show the device but not the BSOD code. What was it?
I am confused by your comment. I just checked the log I uploaded, and found that is has 2425 lines, whereas you have copied a segment that includes up to line 1585.

The last line is shown below.

Perhaps you might check the file again to see whether it has what you need.

Code: Select all

00:00:13.078577 GUI: Passing request to close Runtime UI from machine-logic to UI session.
fth0
Volunteer
Primary OS: Mac OS X other
Guest OSses: Linux, Windows 10, ...

Post by fth0 »

brainchild wrote:I just checked the log I uploaded, and found that is has 2425 lines, whereas you have copied a segment that includes up to line 1585.
Are you complaining that the shutdown of the VM took 3 more seconds? :lol:
brainchild

Post by brainchild »

fth0 wrote:
brainchild wrote:I just checked the log I uploaded, and found that is has 2425 lines, whereas you have copied a segment that includes up to line 1585.
Are you complaining that the shutdown of the VM took 3 more seconds? :lol:
Now I'm even more confused.

No, I'm not complaining because shutdown took more than 3 seconds. I'm not even sure what you think "shutdown" means, since startup never succeeded.

I'm seeking help finding the reason why the guest machine only boots when the device is physically disconnected.
scottgus1
Site Moderator

Post by scottgus1 »

brainchild wrote:I just checked the log I uploaded, ...
The last line is shown below....
 00:00:13.078577 GUI:
Yes, I got the same log, and the line I quoted:
scottgus1 wrote:00:00:10.340639 Changing the VM state from 'RUNNING' to 'SUSPENDING'
indicates when the Virtualbox 'hardware' is beginning its shutdown process, and the VM OS is either shut down or killed. FWIW your quoted last line is timestamped at 13 seconds, not much more than the 10 second timestamp of the last OS operation line I quoted. The last three seconds of log is from Virtualbox's 'hardware' cleanup, not from the VM OS operation. The VM OS is paused at 10 seconds with no further activity and is terminated at 12 seconds still in a paused state.

However we still do not see what you report in your topic title:
brainchild wrote:BSOD during guest boot
It is quite possible that the VM OS did not fully boot. The log contains the usual EFI codes, but no messages from the VM OS like a normal boot shows.

Per the accepted definition of 'BSOD' there should have been an error code displayed by the VM OS. We still are up in the air on that BSOD error code:
scottgus1 wrote:What was it?
brainchild

Post by brainchild »

Based on the way I ran the tests, I'm not sure why the log would not show the needed error codes. However, in light of the observations you made, I am attaching a different capture, which though it was created by essentially the same events, includes a longer time duration as well as a number of lines reporting specific error codes.

Hopefully, this report includes the needed information missing from the one posted originally.

Please note that BSOD was used informally in the earlier context, and perhaps incorrectly. The essential observation is that rather than effectively booting the guest system, the hypervisor shows a blank window.
Attachments
vbox-log-brainchild.zip
(31.91 KiB) Downloaded 7 times
scottgus1
Site Moderator

Post by scottgus1 »

This log is pretty much the same as the first one, except with lots of these:
00:00:36.419147 ERROR [COM]: aRC=VBOX_E_VM_ERROR (0x80bb0003) aIID={4680b2de-8690-11e9-b83d-5719e53cf1de} aComponent={DisplayWrap} aText={Could not take a screenshot (VERR_NOT_SUPPORTED)}, preserve=false aResultDetail=-37
which only means that the VM window was not in a state to allow the Preview window in the main Virtualbox window to show the VM contents.

No info that I can see on why the VM OS is failing. We'll have to wait for a forum guru to look into this. FWIW this host is using the Ubuntu fork, which we don't support, see your other active topic viewtopic.php?f=7&t=103210

One other thing from the first post:
brainchild wrote:except that the host will not boot as long as the device is connected.
Was this a mistake, maybe should read:
brainchild wrote:except that the guest will not boot as long as the device is connected.
brainchild wrote:Please note that BSOD was used informally in the earlier context, and perhaps incorrectly.
Using technical terms that have a definite meaning in a way that changes the meaning can confuse others and waste others' time, as can be seen above..... :wink:
fth0
Volunteer

Post by fth0 »

You're encountering a well-known, yet unsolved issue: 20090, which has the same root cause as the other issue you already encountered. Some users (but one) could work around this issue with the same workaround that you already know (disabling Split Lock Detection).

The VirtualBox developers are working on a fix, but AFAICS, it is not part of the VirtualBox test builds as of today.
brainchild

Post by brainchild »

fth0 wrote:You're encountering a well-known, yet unsolved issue: 20090, which has the same root cause as the other issue you already encountered. Some users (but one) could work around this issue with the same workaround that you already know (disabling Split Lock Detection).

The VirtualBox developers are working on a fix, but AFAICS, it is not part of the VirtualBox test builds as of today.
Thanks for the explanation. Since I am already using the workaround mentioned, which has been necessary to be able to boot the guest in any capacity, is it accurate that no further workaround is presently available, other than simply keeping the peripheral device physically disconnected during the problematic stage?
fth0
Volunteer

Post by fth0 »

brainchild wrote:Since I am already using the workaround mentioned, which has been necessary to be able to boot the guest in any capacity, is it accurate that no further workaround is presently available, other than simply keeping the peripheral device physically disconnected during the problematic stage?
I don't know. Your latest VBox.log file does not show any USB related issues, because the VM already hangs while booting the (U)EFI BIOS modules.
brainchild

Post by brainchild »

fth0 wrote:
brainchild wrote:Your latest VBox.log file does not show any USB related issues, because the VM already hangs while booting the (U)EFI BIOS modules.
Just to be sure I properly communicated the effect, this particular problem occurs only if the peripheral device is physically connected at the time when the guest is launched for boot.
fth0
Volunteer

Post by fth0 »

Yes, I've understood that, and it's totally possible that your issue remains after the split-lock detection issues are solved.
brainchild

Post by brainchild »

fth0 wrote:Yes, I've understood that, and it's totally possible that your issue remains after the split-lock detection issues are solved.
This most recent comment seems to indicate that you have some doubts about the accuracy of the earlier remark. Do I misunderstand?
fth0
Volunteer

Post by fth0 »

There is always the possibility of inaccuracies, that's why I often use the word "probably", which I didn't in your case. If I had realized in advance that you're using the Split Lock Detection workaround (you wrote that you "plan to do" that in your previous forum topic), I maybe would have assessed your issue differently. But while I may seem to be precise at times, I'm not perfect after all. ;)

Regarding the VBox.log file: There are a lot of (U)EFI BIOS modules, and in your case not all of them are loaded and executed. The last one reported (MptScsiDxe.efi) is one of the SCSI family of modules (for some LSI Fusion-MPT SCSI controller), and since CD/DVD/BD devices communicate via SCSI internally, there could be some interaction with your USB device. But that's pure speculation.