BSOD during guest boot only if usb device connected

Discussions related to using VirtualBox on Linux hosts.
brainchild

Re: BSOD during guest boot only if usb device connected

Post by brainchild »

fth0 wrote:But while I may seem to be precise at times, I'm not perfect after all. ;)
Sure, I only meant to try to gain an accurate understanding of any conclusion you may have reached. Sorry that my comment may have sounded discourteous.

Note that my original message on this topic may not have been fully clear, but I intended to express the following very particular sequence of events:
  • I built the VM but failed to have it boot.
  • I posted a report on this forum.
  • I resolved the problem by using the suggested workaround, booting the host with the particular kernel option.
  • I discovered that boot still failed under a specific condition, the peripheral device being physically attached.
  • I posted this issue to the forum.
At this time, the question is whether there is a problem with the VM configuration that I might alter for a better effect, or there is a workaround that I might apply for some bug in the virtualization software. Otherwise, I simply would continue with the basic workaround of pulling the cable from the peripheral device just before launching the VM.
scottgus1
Site Moderator
Primary OS: MS Windows 10
VBox Version: PUEL
Guest OSses: Windows, Linux

Post by scottgus1 »

A possible way to test this is to make a new VM and see if it also has booting trouble with the USB device attached. If it does, the problem may be in the host or a conflict between the device and Virtualbox. If not, then the VM OS has an issue.

If the problem migrates to a different VM and the question of if the host or a conflict is still open, try the device and Virtualbox and a new VM on a different host, if you have access to one.
brainchild

Post by brainchild »

scottgus1 wrote:A possible way to test this is to make a new VM and see if it also has booting trouble with the USB device attached. If it does, the problem may be in the host or a conflict between the device and Virtualbox. If not, then the VM OS has an issue.
Which VM configuration and OS would you propose for a test? It seems possible in principle that the problem is, as you suggest, due to a conflict with the device or host, or a problem with VirtualBox, though it occurs only under specific combinations of variables. It seems to me that having a hypothesis for which variables are most relevant would make this kind of testing more efficient.
scottgus1
Site Moderator
Primary OS: MS Windows 10
VBox Version: PUEL
Guest OSses: Windows, Linux

Post by scottgus1 »

brainchild wrote:Which VM configuration and OS would you propose for a test?
I'd use the same OS you're running in the VM you have now. And another test with a different OS in a different VM could help pin down the source too.
brainchild

Post by brainchild »

I created a new VM running W10, fresh from installation media. Superficially, the behavior is the same for the new VM as for the one I have already described.

By accident, I made the discovery that the behavior is affected by media placed in the drive at the time of guest boot. I so far have tested under three scenarios, of no media, of a commercial audio CD, and of a commercial DVD, and found that the problem occurs only in the case of a CD being in the drive.