Error message not humanly, NS_ERROR_FAILURE (0x80004005)

Discussions related to using VirtualBox on Linux hosts.
LM2001

Error message not humanly, NS_ERROR_FAILURE (0x80004005)

Post by LM2001 »

Hello Dear Virtualbox developers, product managers, friends and users,

I have installed Oracle linux system , to test Virtualbox on some platform other than windows, hoping for better performance..
Virtualbox = Oracle , Oracle Linux = Oracle , so why not?

However, in my first attempt testing Virtualbox on Oracle Linux I 've observed very very slow performance. So I have turned back to windows on the same machine to do what I had to do.

A few days later, an idea came to my mind, to set up a swap memory space for Oracle linux, I was able to set it up.

Then in order to test virtualbox I have hit start for a virtualmacine in virtualbox. And I have got this error. Below..

Which is completely foreign to me. I cant understand how and why I am getting this error. Could you tell me if you know what it is?
Couldn't this message be more human friendly.

The VM session was closed before any attempt to power it on.

NS_ERROR_FAILURE (0x80004005)

SessionMachine

ISession {c0447716-ff5a-4795-b57a-ecd5fffa18a4}
mpack
Site Moderator
Primary OS: MS Windows 10
VBox Version: PUEL
Guest OSses: Mostly XP

Re: Error message not humanly, NS_ERROR_FAILURE (0x80004005)

Post by mpack »

Please provide a VM log file. Make sure the VM is fully shut down, then right click it in the manager UI. Select "Show Log" and save "VBox.log" (no other file) to a zip file. Attach the zip here.

Also: topic moved to "Linux Hosts".
LM2001

Post by LM2001 »

Latest events about virtualbox on Oracle linux host , is that I have given another try to run the virtualmachine and this time it started to run. Perhaps It just got scared when I report it's situation in the virtualbox forums. Again very bad performance, such that mouse pointer was hardly moving after I hit the start.. As you could also see in the log file I have terminated the session by powering it off.
You might also see my unsuccessful attempt to run virtualmachine in the log file. Which was the one before the last attempt. Please note that everything was running smoothly on Windows host with same virtual machine file and same settings.

To sum, two problems

1.Random not running virtualmachine on Oracle Linux host with NS_ERROR_FAILURE (0x80004005) failure.
2. If virtualmachine runs , very bad performance on both hos and guest

(none of the above mentioned problems running virtual machine on windows host.)

Thanks very much for your advice/help.
Attachments
WICK-2021-06-20-12-48-27.zip
VBox.log
(30.06 KiB) Downloaded 8 times
mpack
Site Moderator

Post by mpack »

I don't see any sign of poor performance in the log you provided. The VM reaches the stage of loading the Guest Additions in only 8 seconds, which seems pretty good to me. Of course it's only a 2 core host CPU, and both cores have been assigned to the VM, so you can expect those cores to be busy - their workload has doubled.

You might want to check for any CPU hogs inside the VM or the host.

I will not address the original NS_ERROR_FAILURE problem, since the log provided does not show it.
fth0
Volunteer
Primary OS: Mac OS X other
Guest OSses: Linux, Windows 10, ...

Post by fth0 »

mpack wrote:I don't see any sign of poor performance in the log you provided. The VM reaches the stage of loading the Guest Additions in only 8 seconds, which seems pretty good to me.
The signs are right behind that: It took approximately 30 seconds more until the VBox WDDM Driver was running (8 + 30 seconds instead of the 8 + 2 seconds I'd expect). And the VBoxService didn't start at all yet.

@LM2001:
As mpack suggested, you should investigate further in the task managers of your choice (on the host and in the guest). A 30 second delay should be identifiable.
LM2001

Post by LM2001 »

Hello Guys, Thank you for your attention. Today, I have tested another Virtualmachine and I finally got that error message below.

Code: Select all

Could not open the medium '/run/media/timmy/01D75A1C83C0E540/case/VirtualMachines/WMTEST/WMTEST/C:/case/VirtualMachines/WMTEST/WMTEST.vdi'.
VD: error VERR_FILE_NOT_FOUND opening image file '/run/media/timmy/01D75A1C83C0E540/case/VirtualMachines/WMTEST/WMTEST/C:/case/VirtualMachines/WMTEST/WMTEST.vdi' (VERR_FILE_NOT_FOUND).

MediumWrap
IMedium {ad47ad09-787b-44ab-b343-a082a3f2dfb1}
I have attached the log file from the machine which I have tested on. I think now you might find something about this NS_ERROR_FAILURE (0x80004005) on log file.
Attachments
WMBOX-2021-06-23-12-48-27.log
(2.4 KiB) Downloaded 6 times
LM2001

Post by LM2001 »

mpack wrote:I don't see any sign of poor performance in the log you provided. The VM reaches the stage of loading the Guest Additions in only 8 seconds, which seems pretty good to me. Of course it's only a 2 core host CPU, and both cores have been assigned to the VM, so you can expect those cores to be busy - their workload has doubled.

You might want to check for any CPU hogs inside the VM or the host.

I will not address the original NS_ERROR_FAILURE problem, since the log provided does not show it.
Hello, Is that the fact hat explains the performance difference between running on Windows host and Oracle linux host? Because As I mentioned it is exactly the same machine , same configuration same VM file. It's a dual boot between windows and Oracle linux.
The VM reaches the stage of loading the Guest Additions in only 8 seconds,
Thats right , absolutely no problem at the initiation of Guest system. I can see that it starts immediately. The problem starts after the guest system shows some welcome screen. What happens is that the mouse freezes and I had a hard time to termine the guest.

And even I wait for the guest system to load completely, It shows terrible performance.
LM2001

Post by LM2001 »

fth0 wrote:
mpack wrote:I don't see any sign of poor performance in the log you provided. The VM reaches the stage of loading the Guest Additions in only 8 seconds, which seems pretty good to me.
The signs are right behind that: It took approximately 30 seconds more until the VBox WDDM Driver was running (8 + 30 seconds instead of the 8 + 2 seconds I'd expect). And the VBoxService didn't start at all yet.

@LM2001:
As mpack suggested, you should investigate further in the task managers of your choice (on the host and in the guest). A 30 second delay should be identifiable.
Ja, How do I do this investigation further?
scottgus1
Site Moderator
Guest OSses: Windows, Linux

Post by scottgus1 »

I'd go so far as to guess that "investigate further in the task managers of your choice" would mean to open whatever "task manager" you have in the host and VM OS's and see what's using CPU, disk, etc. If something in the VM is slogging the CPU or disk, it will show in both the VM's task manager and the host's Virtualbox processes in the host's task manager.

For example, Windows Updates hits the CPU and disk hard, especially after a fresh install of the OS, and will slow down the VM's performance.
mpack
Site Moderator

Post by mpack »

As Fth0 and I have both said, you should use Task Manager inside the guest OS to find out what uses the CPU time.
LM2001

Post by LM2001 »

Guys, I have to apologize that I had a mistake by addressing two different problems in one topic. I would suggest we would discuss about the problem below
1.Random not running virtualmachine on Oracle Linux host with NS_ERROR_FAILURE (0x80004005) failure.
when this is solved. we could analyse the performance issue. (Also to analyse the performance issue , first we need to make a VM up and running to create a taskmanager snapshot/report. This I will do in another topic.)

There is the error again. which is mentioned on the topic:
The VM session was closed before any attempt to power it on.
SessionMachine
ISession {c0447716-ff5a-4795-b57a-ecd5fffa18a4}
Again, virtual machine runs on windows host. But not on oracle linux host. (Able to add the virtual machine to Oracle vm virtualbox manager but not able to run it. )
I am adding the VMlog file.
Thanks very much for your advice/help.
Attachments
VMBOX-2021-07-04-00-00-00.zip
log file
(31.68 KiB) Downloaded 5 times
scottgus1
Site Moderator

Post by scottgus1 »

The log shows a VM running from a Windows host that ran for 4 hours without any error that I see. Is the NS error from attempting to run the same VM on the Linux host? Is it a dual-boot host?

Failure to run in Linux may be because of a bad Virtualbox install in Linux. VirtualBox on Linux requires prerequisites, see https://www.virtualbox.org/manual/ch02. ... nux-prereq. Uninstall Virtualbox, install the prerequisites, then reinstall Virtualbox, and watch the Virtualbox installation messages carefully, as error messages during install can hide in the text.
fth0
Volunteer
Primary OS: Mac OS X other
Guest OSses: Linux, Windows 10, ...

Post by fth0 »

LM2001 wrote:

Code: Select all

Could not open the medium '/run/media/timmy/01D75A1C83C0E540/case/VirtualMachines/WMTEST/WMTEST/C:/case/VirtualMachines/WMTEST/WMTEST.vdi'.
The VM configuration is located in a .vbox file, which references the .vdi file(s) in its <Harddisks> section. If your VMs are located in a non-standard location, those references contain the full path, which is host OS dependent. Reboot your hosts, so that no VirtualBox component is running, and edit the .vbox files if necessary.
LM2001

Post by LM2001 »

scottgus1 wrote:The log shows a VM running from a Windows host that ran for 4 hours without any error that I see. Is the NS error from attempting to run the same VM on the Linux host? Is it a dual-boot host?

Failure to run in Linux may be because of a bad Virtualbox install in Linux. VirtualBox on Linux requires prerequisites, see https://www.virtualbox.org/manual/ch02. ... nux-prereq. Uninstall Virtualbox, install the prerequisites, then reinstall Virtualbox, and watch the Virtualbox installation messages carefully, as error messages during install can hide in the text.
Exactly! This is a dual-boot host.
So I had uninstalled Virtualbox, and installed again, I havent seen any error messages. I am able to add the virtual machine to the virtualbox. But not able to run.
scottgus1
Site Moderator

Post by scottgus1 »

OK. I can't think of anything else, except that Virtualbox did not install properly on the Linux host OS. You may want to do the uninstall & prerequisites & reinstall again. Copy and post the text of the prerequisites and installer output in the terminal window so others can see if an error occurred.