VirtualBox Crackling/Static Sounds

Discussions related to using VirtualBox on Linux hosts.
Newo

VirtualBox Crackling/Static Sounds

Post by Newo »

Hey everyone!

I am on Manjaro XFCE with VirtualBox 6.1.22 r144080. When starting a Windows 10 VM, all of the sounds are crackly and staticy. I used to run VMs on Ubuntu without any problem. The full log is here: paste.ee/p/Jq3RV (I can't post URLs yet!). Anyone know what is causing this?

Thanks!
mpack
Site Moderator
Primary OS: MS Windows 10
VBox Version: PUEL
Guest OSses: Mostly XP

Re: VirtualBox Crackling/Static Sounds

Post by mpack »

Newo wrote:(I can't post URLs yet!)
Then don't post URLs. Attach the file as a local attachment, as everyone can do from their first post.

Crackly audio usually means that you are stressing the host. If you are allocating more than two cores to the host then don't. Stereo audio will be better than 5.1. Enable 3D acceleration, as this relieves the burden of software rendering.

Further discussion will require that VM log. Make sure the VM is fully shut down, then right click it in the manager UI. Select "Show Log" and save "VBox.log" (no other file) to a zip file. Attach the zip here.
Newo

Post by Newo »

Ah, OK! I think the audio is less crackly but staticy. I am only allocating 4 vCores / 16 threads. 3D acceleration is enabled. This has worked without problem before with this configuration.

After testing a bit more with output methods, it seems like when I monitor my output with Audacity and then play it back, it seems fine. After changing the output device, it also works fine. But once I change it back, the audio goes all staticy again. If I play a video from YouTube for example, it works just fine. Unfortunately I can not upload a recording of the audio that I am hearing.

I do believe that it is a Manjaro issue (VirtualBox is outputting the audio fine) so I can go ask there if you would like.
Attachments
VBox.log.zip
(35.76 KiB) Downloaded 27 times
mpack
Site Moderator

Post by mpack »

Like I said, trying reducing to 2 cores. Unnecessary cores makes the VM slower, not faster.

I don't really know what "staticy" means. Are you talking about white noise? I don't recall anyone saying that VirtualBox caused that. Not sure how that's even possible with digital audio, unless you are picking up interference in the analog input or output stages.
Newo

Post by Newo »

mpack wrote:I don't recall anyone saying that VirtualBox caused that.
Yeah, I was able to figure out that VirtualBox outputs the audio fine and something in my OS is messing it up. Here is a piece of audio if you would like to give it a listen. sndup[dot]net/6fsf/d (there is some blank at the start)
Newo

Post by Newo »

So I was able to find a fix on the Manjaro forums. It appears that using ALSA instead of PulseAudio fixes the audio problems for Windows versions after the April 28, 2021 update. Not sure why, but it works now!
mpack
Site Moderator

Post by mpack »

Glad you got it working, thanks for reporting back.