share the Printer from Linux host with the Windows guest

Discussions related to using VirtualBox on Linux hosts.
Plagrö

share the Printer from Linux host with the Windows guest

Post by Plagrö »

First question:
When I share my real printer from the host (which is connected to the host via USB cable and works in Linux) with my windows guest:
Do I then nevertheless need to install the windows print driver in Windows? Or is this not needed?

Second:
What is my goal?

I want to share my printer from my linux host with my "Windows 7" guest.

Until now, I have never used a network. Neither in Windows nor in Linux. And I have no knowledge about this.

So I have found this:
https://www.howtogeek.com/191323/how-to ... a-network/
https://www.howtogeek.com/school/window ... g/lesson3/

And I have read the section about "host-only" in VirtualBox help.

But it has not helped me.

So what I have now in VB is this:
VB1.jpg
VB1.jpg (28.41 KiB) Viewed 1363 times
Is this right, or do I have to add a NAT network here for my goal?

VB2.jpg
VB2.jpg (60.17 KiB) Viewed 1363 times
So this is what it has filled out. How can I be sure, that all this entries are right?

VB3.jpg
VB3.jpg (61.08 KiB) Viewed 1363 times
Same question here: So this is what it has filled out. How can I be sure, that all this entries are right?

It does not work. And I also can not search for a printer in Windows 7.

Would appreciate some help. Thank you.

PS: In windows guest it shows me:
"Unidentified network"
scottgus1
Site Moderator
Primary OS: MS Windows 10
VBox Version: PUEL
Guest OSses: Windows, Linux

Re: share the Printer from Linux host with the Windows guest

Post by scottgus1 »

See Virtualbox Networks: In Pictures.

You will need a direct network connection between host PC and the VM. Bridged and Host-Only achieve this. NAT and NAT Network insert a 'router' between the host and the VM, which complicate the connection.

Bridged adds the VM onto the physical network along with the host and other computers. However, Bridged may not work if the host is connected to the physical network through Wi-Fi. Bridged will also not work if the host is not connected to a physical network. Host-Only is a private network between the VM and the host and is a good work-around for the times Bridged cannot be used.

The displayed settings for Host-Only in the "Host Network Manager" should work, if you decide to go Host-Only. Host-Only does appear as an 'unidentified network' in Windows, because it does not have a gateway, because it does not provide internet to the VM. You should still be able to communicate to the host, using the host's Host-Only ip address 192.168.56.1, per your posted picture.

Your VM's OS must have the printer's drivers installed. You will also have to properly configure your Linux host to share a printer over the network you choose to set up. Web-search how to do this.
Plagrö

Re: share the Printer from Linux host with the Windows guest

Post by Plagrö »

Thank you.