Keyboard does not work

Discussions related to using VirtualBox on Linux hosts.
korda

Keyboard does not work

Post by korda »

VirtualBox 6.1
host: Kubuntu 20.04.2
guest: Windows 10 pro

Sometimes happens that keyboard is not captured by the virtual machine. This lag is temporary and usually lasts less than minutes.

How can I fix it?
mpack
Site Moderator
Primary OS: MS Windows 10
VBox Version: PUEL
Guest OSses: Mostly XP

Re: Keyboard does not work

Post by mpack »

The keyboard doesn't need to be "captured" by a VM. The host should always own it. The VirtualBox app gets keystroke events from the host OS just like any other host app. You don't need to do anything special.

I.e. if you installed a USB filter to steal ownership of the keyboard from the host then you need to remove that. Likewise if you created a USB filter that could be grabbing the keyboard then you need to change the filter specs to stop that happening. A host PC with no keyboard (or mouse) will be hard to use.
korda

Post by korda »

mpack wrote:The keyboard doesn't need to be "captured" by a VM.
Keyboard is a PS2 one, not USB. On the host machine keyboard works fine, on the guest machine it take few minutes (after complete boot of the vm) before I can digit anything
Last edited by mpack on 12. May 2021, 15:33, edited 2 times in total.
Reason: Trim unnecessary verbatim quote of the preceding post.
mpack
Site Moderator
Primary OS: MS Windows 10
VBox Version: PUEL
Guest OSses: Mostly XP

Post by mpack »

Then it doesn't sound like you have a keyboard problem at all. It sounds like something in the guest is eating CPU.

There is no process in VirtualBox that can stop the host OS from registering PS/2 keystrokes.