Can't import instance from Oracle Cloud

Discussions related to using VirtualBox on Linux hosts.
GTP95

Can't import instance from Oracle Cloud

Post by GTP95 »

Hello everybody,

I'm trying to use VirtualBox to import a VPS image from Oracle Cloud. I followed the instructions here: (Sorry, since I'm a new member I can't post URLs. It's the official oracle documentation, I'll edit this when I'm allowed to post urls) . Following the described procedure, I'm able to see my instances and select one of them. The first thing that appears to go wrong is when VirtualBox tries to get the machine's config from Oracle Cloud. I can tell that some settings don't match the VPS, like the OS is Oracle Linux and there is 1 GB of RAM while VirtualBox sets as OS Other/unknown and 1MB of RAM. But doesn't matter if I change the settings or not, when I press enter to start the import, I get an error saying that it wasn't possible to acquire a property of the VM. If I click on details to see the error's details, I get the famous "NS_ERROR_FAILURE (0x80004005)" error. I know that this is a generic error that appears when VirtualBox fails to import a VM, but I don't know where to look for logs to try and understand what's going on. So my first question is: where should I look for VirtualBox's logs? My next question is, has anybody an idea about what's going on? My Host OS is ArchLinux and I'm able to import and run VMs from my local FS.
Thanks in advance for any help.
scottgus1
Site Moderator
Primary OS: MS Windows 10
VBox Version: PUEL
Guest OSses: Windows, Linux

Re: Can't import instance from Oracle Cloud

Post by scottgus1 »

Reboot your host to reset Virtualbox. Then go to /home/{username}/.config/VirtualBox. Delete 'VboxSVC.log' and all the 'VboxSVC.log.#'s
Start a cloud import.
If it fails, close Virtualbox. Then go back to /home/{username}/.config/VirtualBox. Zip the new 'VboxSVC.log', and post it using the forum's Upload Attachment tab.