No USB device found for one host user

Discussions related to using VirtualBox on Linux hosts.
korda

No USB device found for one host user

Post by korda »

I have installed VirtualBox 6.1 on Kubuntu 20.04.2.
I have created a shared virtual machine among two different host users, following the @scottgus1's post in the thread viewtopic.php?f=7&t=102676.

Both of the host users belong to the voboxusers group, and I also added virtualbox udev rules as described in viewtopic.php?f=7&t=59462&start=15

Nevetheless a very strange behaviour still remains. When the host user A launch the vm USB devices are available but when the host user B launch the same vm no USB device have found.

User A is the first user on the linux host machine (ie UID:GID is 1000:1000), user B the second one.
mpack
Site Moderator
Primary OS: MS Windows 10
VBox Version: PUEL
Guest OSses: Mostly XP

Re: No USB device found for one host user

Post by mpack »

korda wrote:When the host user A launch the vm USB devices are available but when the host user B launch the same vm no USB device have found.
That would be because user B has not installed the extension pack. That fact that you did so is recorded in the user information, it is not global.
korda

Post by korda »

mpack wrote:
korda wrote:When the host user A launch the vm USB devices are available but when the host user B launch the same vm no USB device have found.
That would be because user B has not installed the extension pack. That fact that you did so is recorded in the user information, it is not global.
Estension pack was installed from repository as superuser. How can I check what you said?
mpack
Site Moderator
Guest OSses: Mostly XP

Post by mpack »

Look at the user B VM log after a session. The presence or not of the extension pack is reported in the first few lines.

And just to be clear, I assume we are not talking about both users running at once.
korda

Post by korda »

mpack wrote:Look at the user B VM log after a session. The presence or not of the extension pack is reported in the first few lines.

And just to be clear, I assume we are not talking about both users running at once.
Yep, the users don't use the same vm simultaneously

Here there are the log files... it seems to me that both the users have Extensions Pack already setted (but user B doesn't see any device)
vboxlogs.zip
(59.14 KiB) Downloaded 19 times
scottgus1
Site Moderator
Guest OSses: Windows, Linux

Post by scottgus1 »

Both logs show working Extension Pack, with apparently-working USB3 in the VM. I read topics, could have sworn rather recently, about Linux hosts not being able to see USB. Can't find them nor remember the solution. We'll need a Linux guru on this one.

Carefully go through USB basics and troubleshooting. If you finish all the steps 1-7 and cannot get your USB device into the guest OS, carefully post the outputs of the commands in step 8 as text in

Code: Select all

tags, not screenshots. Zip and post the logs step 8 call for, using the forum's Upload Attachment tab.
korda

Post by korda »

scottgus1 wrote:Both logs show working Extension Pack, with apparently-working USB3 in the VM. I read topics, could have sworn rather recently, about Linux hosts not being able to see USB. Can't find them nor remember the solution. We'll need a Linux guru on this one.

Carefully go through USB basics and troubleshooting. If you finish all the steps 1-7 and cannot get your USB device into the guest OS, carefully post the outputs of the commands in step 8 as text in

Code: Select all

tags, not screenshots. Zip and post the logs step 8 call for, using the forum's Upload Attachment tab.[/quote]
Uhmm... such procedure seems challenging. I will follow step by step the instructions proposed in the next few days and I will feedback you soon.
korda

Post by korda »

It seems that this issue has been solved without my any direct intervention. I have only run (generic) system updates on the linux host.

I am not sure to flag this topic as Resolved: I don't know how to solve it yet :lol:
scottgus1
Site Moderator
Guest OSses: Windows, Linux

Post by scottgus1 »

Gotta love those intermittent self-resolving problems! We can leave the topic open, no need to bother with it if the problem stays resolved. Glad you're up and running! (for now.... :shock: :lol: )