Create clone of Windows 7 to run under Linux

Discussions related to using VirtualBox on Linux hosts.
William Donnelly

Create clone of Windows 7 to run under Linux

Post by William Donnelly »

Sorry if this is a repeat topic.
I thought this would be a popular issue but I cannot find posts that answer my question.

My PC is running retail Windows 7 (not OEM - I bought it separately).
I want to create a clone of the entire system drive, then disconnect that drive.
I'm building a whole new Linux environment on the same PC, on new drives, and I want to boot the Win7 VHD clone inside VirtualBox.
(Linux will be my primary OS. I will use W7 from time to time when I need to use something that could not easily be migrated to Linux.)

Based on what I've read, it sounds like I should be able to create the VHD with disk2vhd, convert it to VDI, and just set up the VM to be as similar as possible to the physical hardware underneath.
Right?
  • Should not have problem activating the license, because there's still only one copy running.
  • Should not have problem with drive assignments, because the original C: drive will be removed.
Will this work?
scottgus1
Site Moderator
Primary OS: MS Windows 10
VBox Version: PUEL
Guest OSses: Windows, Linux

Re: Create clone of Windows 7 to run under Linux

Post by scottgus1 »

There may or may not be some troubles, some folks report such a cloning works perfectly, others report a real cluster-cuss. Just have to try it. Be sure to clone the whole drive, not just the C:\ partition.

Activation should not be a problem, since it is retail-licensed. The VM's 'drive' will be a separate environment from the host drive, and it will remain the C:\ drive in the VM.

Often it helps to uninstall hardware drivers from the cloned OS if possible, so the new 'hardware' has a chance to get recognized properly. If you have already cloned, try this in the VM's Safe Mode F8 at boot.

One other consideration, if applicable: skip the cloning and fresh-install W7 & apps in the VM, and migrate data.

Personally I would preserve the old drive with 7 on it and insert a new drive for Linux in the computer, so a decent downgrade path is available.