Windows 7 guest window no longer visible

Discussions related to using VirtualBox on Linux hosts.
pedro222

Windows 7 guest window no longer visible

Post by pedro222 »

My guest window is no longer visible, but the process is still running and even the preview window in VBox shows the machine. It's also funny the Windows logo isn't showing in task manager any more, there is just a blank window icon. Is it possible to switch somehow into the window? I tried to send ACPI shutdown signal, but it didn't help.
Anyway I'm running another Linux Mint machine and it's working fine.
Attachments
Win7.zip
(4.52 KiB) Downloaded 11 times
mpack
Site Moderator
Primary OS: MS Windows 10
VBox Version: PUEL
Guest OSses: Mostly XP

Re: Windows 7 guest window no longer visible

Post by mpack »

Provide a VM log file. Make sure the VM is fully shut down, then right click it in the manager UI. Select "Show Log" and save "VBox.log" (no other file) to a zip file. Attach the zip here.
pedro222

Post by pedro222 »

I'd like to avoid shutting the machine down.
mpack
Site Moderator
Primary OS: MS Windows 10
VBox Version: PUEL
Guest OSses: Mostly XP

Post by mpack »

Practical help requires a VM log. Anything less is just time wasting speculation.

Also, I'm not sure what "machine" you refer to. Your original post states that you already tried to shut down the VM, and that's all I'm asking you to (continue to) do.

The only way to get access to a headless VM (which is what this sounds like) is using something like RDP, Teams etc. I'm assuming that making it headless was deliberate, and you had a plan for how you intended to access the VM in future.

You provided your settings file for the VM: I don't expect that to be useful since "headless mode" is not a setting, it's a decision you make when launching the VM.