Win10 guest takes a long time to boot up

Discussions related to using VirtualBox on Linux hosts.
Fabian10

Win10 guest takes a long time to boot up

Post by Fabian10 »

Hello,
This is my first post, please forgive me if I miss any important information.
I have been using VB for many years without any problem, until Windows 10 showed up.
I still use a couple of Win7 guests that work OK, but my several Win10 guests will take a very long time to boot up or restart.
Here is all the information regarding my system, along with the VBox.log
Any help will be much appreciated!
Host:
Dell XPS 9500 Laptop
Intel® Core™ i7-10875H CPU
23.2 GiB of RAM
20.04.2 LTS (Focal Fossa) 64-bit

Guest:
Windows 10 64 bit, 4 CPUs, 6850 MB of RAM

Guest additions has been loaded and updated.

Thank you for your help!
Fabian
 Edit:  
Attachments
All New Win10 2020-2021-04-13-08-54-04.log
Log file
(126.05 KiB) Downloaded 9 times
Last edited by Fabian10 on 13. Apr 2021, 19:14, edited 1 time in total.
mpack
Site Moderator
Primary OS: MS Windows 10
VBox Version: PUEL
Guest OSses: Mostly XP

Re: Win10 guest takes along time to boot up

Post by mpack »

I'm afraid these forums only exist to support VirtualBox users, which is not what you have. What you have is a third party build, specifically the Ubuntu one. If you use a third party build then you need to approach that third party for support.

Otherwise I suggest that you install actual VirtualBox and also bring the Guest Additions up to date, and perhaps get rid of that unofficial VNC extension module as well.

I would also suggest reducing CPU allocation to 2 cores. I find your RAM allocation a bit odd too - strangely tuned for no obvious reason. Turn off transparency effects in Windows and then enable 3D acceleration.

I don't see any obvious confirmation that boot up was slow - in fact I see the VM was booted several times before the log came to an abrupt end.

On the last point: the log is incomplete (probably grabbed while VirtualBox was still running, or uploaded without compression), so there isnt much more analysis I can do.