Guru meditation when booting from NFS

Discussions related to using VirtualBox on Linux hosts.
yeLAmX

Guru meditation when booting from NFS

Post by yeLAmX »

- Guest: Linux Ubuntu 16.04
- Host: Linux Arch kernel 5.10
- Virtualbox 6.1

I usually install and boot my virtual machines from an NFS share. Everything was working fine but I suddenly cannot boot from my NFS share anymore. When I do, before GRUB, Guru Meditation error appears (log attached).

The thing is, if I copy the entire VM folder into my local machine, it boots, so the problem is with the NFS share. I tried copying that folder again to the NFS share, but that isn't working either. As a final note, it not only happens with my Arch host, I tried another computer (with Arch too), and the error is the same. I also tried with different guests (I have lot of them in my NFS share, I also tried macOS guests), but it's always the same error.

I tried understanding what the hell is happening by comparing the logs from booting the VM from NFS and from my local machine, but honestly, I can't solve the issue on my own. I'm attaching both logs.

Thanks!

PS: I had to split the nfs log into two parts due to the 128KB size limit
Attachments
nfs2.txt
Ubuntu 16.04 boot from NFS share (failed) part 2
(95.25 KiB) Downloaded 11 times
nfs1.txt
Ubuntu 16.04 boot from NFS share (failed) part 1
(123.31 KiB) Downloaded 10 times
local.txt
Ubuntu 16.04 boot from local disk (success)
(100.77 KiB) Downloaded 10 times
scottgus1
Site Moderator
Primary OS: MS Windows 10
VBox Version: PUEL
Guest OSses: Windows, Linux

Re: Guru meditation when booting from NFS

Post by scottgus1 »

A couple things to note:
1. Zipped logs always fit in toto, no need to split them.
2. The timestamps that are put in the log are sometimes useful. However you stripped them out, no need to do that in the future. If space was a consideration, #1 above covers it.

The NFS log shows the guru meditating right after touching the VM's disk. No way to tell if the guru meditated immediately or after a portion of time, since the timestamps have been stripped.
VMMDev: Guest Log: BIOS: Booting from Hard Disk...
Changing the VM state from 'RUNNING' to 'GURU_MEDITATION'
Console: Machine state changed to 'GuruMeditation'
!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
!!
!! VCPU0: Guru Meditation 1155 (VINF_EM_TRIPLE_FAULT)
!!
!! Skipping ring-0 registers and stack, rcErr=VINF_EM_TRIPLE_FAULT
I'd diagnose this as a problem with the NFS drive, not with Virtualbox. Did permissions get changed?
yeLAmX

Re: Guru meditation when booting from NFS

Post by yeLAmX »

Thanks for the log suggestion. I've uploaded the nfs log with the timestamps (it is a different run, so the contents may not be the same).

The first thing I thought was the permissions. They didn't change. I even tried to chmod 777 all files inside the VBox directory, but makes no difference. I checked that I can write inside the directory and in any file of it and it works, so it looks like it is not a permission issue.

I'm gonna detail what I did between the moment in which VBox was working and now. I have all my VMs in a directory and I had to copy the directory from one disk to another because I had to format the disk. After that, I copied the directory back to the formatted disk. I did both copies with "cp -a". The nfs exports file is the same. Any idea to gather a bit of information about what is going on?

Thanks!
scottgus1 wrote:A couple things to note:
1. Zipped logs always fit in toto, no need to split them.
2. The timestamps that are put in the log are sometimes useful. However you stripped them out, no need to do that in the future. If space was a consideration, #1 above covers it.

The NFS log shows the guru meditating right after touching the VM's disk. No way to tell if the guru meditated immediately or after a portion of time, since the timestamps have been stripped.
VMMDev: Guest Log: BIOS: Booting from Hard Disk...
Changing the VM state from 'RUNNING' to 'GURU_MEDITATION'
Console: Machine state changed to 'GuruMeditation'
!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
!!
!! VCPU0: Guru Meditation 1155 (VINF_EM_TRIPLE_FAULT)
!!
!! Skipping ring-0 registers and stack, rcErr=VINF_EM_TRIPLE_FAULT
I'd diagnose this as a problem with the NFS drive, not with Virtualbox. Did permissions get changed?
Attachments
VBox.tar.gz
Ubuntu 16.04 boot from NFS share (failed) with timestamps
(58.36 KiB) Downloaded 8 times