Guest Win 10 update = Host freeze

Discussions related to using VirtualBox on Linux hosts.
Avec

Guest Win 10 update = Host freeze

Post by Avec »

Hi

I have
  • Virtualbox 6.1
  • Host Ubuntu 20.04.2 LTS (16GB mem total)
  • Guest Win 10 Home (4GB mem)
However Win 10 wants to do an update. I have tried to update two times now and both times my host OS freeze up and I have to do ha hard reboot.

I am thinking that the update might be to large for the allocated guest os disk space but I am not 100% sure. The guest disk is at 29.4GB with 8.82GB free just now.
If remaining space is the issue do I have to expand the current disk or can I solve this in another way? I do not need more disk for other than just this update. Everything I need is already installed.

Or could the problem be something I have not thought about? Maybe someone have experienced something similar to me regarding windows update?
scottgus1
Site Moderator
Primary OS: MS Windows 10
VBox Version: PUEL
Guest OSses: Windows, Linux

Re: Guest Win 10 update = Host freeze

Post by scottgus1 »

Avec wrote:The guest disk is at 29.4GB with 8.82GB free
My Windows 10 tablet with a 32GB disk updates with 5-6ish GB free. Theoretically your free space should be good.

Start the VM from full power off, not save-state. Try the update and run until you see the problem happen, then shut down the VM from within the VM OS if possible. If not possible, close the Virtualbox window for the VM with the Power Off option set.

Please right-click the VM in the main Virtualbox window's VM list, choose Show Log. Save the far left tab's log, zip the log file, and post the zip file, using the forum's Upload Attachment tab.

Also monitor the PC's temperature while the update is going.
Avec

Re: Guest Win 10 update = Host freeze

Post by Avec »

Thanks. A fresh reboot before an update seems to work.