Two problems with the VirtualBox Linux downloads page

Discussions related to using VirtualBox on Linux hosts.
WhatHaveYou

Two problems with the VirtualBox Linux downloads page

Post by WhatHaveYou »

1) The VirtualBox Linux downloads page should make it clear which kernels are supported, on pain of inconveniencing users.

2) Clicking 'contact' at the bottom of that page leads one on an unmerry dance.
robatino

Re: Two problems with the VirtualBox Linux downloads page

Post by robatino »

The ticket for the current lack of 5.11.x kernel support is https://www.virtualbox.org/ticket/20198 . The suggested fix is simply to add an include file line in the indicated file, which worked for me, although to get Genymotion working again I had to remove and reinstall VirtualBox.
WhatHaveYou

Post by WhatHaveYou »

Thanks, but what you say does not engage with either of my two points - does it?
robatino

Post by robatino »

WhatHaveYou wrote:Thanks, but what you say does not engage with either of my two points - does it?
It's connected to the first point, since normally any stable kernel for any of the listed releases would be supported. It would only be necessary to mention when one of them didn't work, and I just did that.
WhatHaveYou

Post by WhatHaveYou »

'any stable kernel for any of the listed releases would be supported.' Right, but that arrangement means the following. If one is not using the kernel that is bundled with one's current version of one's OS, then one has to look up what version of the kernel that version is bundled with. Hence my point.