Using saved middle mouse button hotkey in Windows guest

Discussions related to using VirtualBox on Linux hosts.
panther202

Using saved middle mouse button hotkey in Windows guest

Post by panther202 »

I have a logitech mouse where I assigned the mouse button under the mouse wheel to pause/unpause media. It works on my host machine, but not on my guest machine. I installed the logitech gaming software and did a filter for the usb, and now the button works, but not my keyboard and also I can not see the cursor (but I can click things). My mousepad from my laptop still works though. When I deselect the USB device in the menu my keyboard works again. Now I would like to make everything work together.
scottgus1
Site Moderator
Primary OS: MS Windows 10
VBox Version: PUEL
Guest OSses: Windows, Linux

Re: Using saved middle mouse button hotkey in Windows guest

Post by scottgus1 »

Virtualbox simulates a regular plain-vanilla mouse or tablet inside the VM under usual no-extra-drivers usage with the host mouse. This plain-vanilla mouse is not a copy of your Logitech mouse, only a no-frills no-brand-name mouse.

So the VM does not actually see the host's mouse; it sees its own mouse that receives signals from Virtualbox. Thus the Logitech software installed inside the VM OS will only see the plain-vanilla mouse, not the Logitech mouse on the host OS.

If you use the USB filters to pass the Logitech mouse into the VM it will not work on the host OS, since USB devices cannot be shared. You will then be able to use the Logitech software inside the VM, but the mouse won't work in the host OS until you release the USB filter.
panther202 wrote:but not my keyboard
If the USB filter cannot differentiate between the keyboard and mouse it will grab both devices. Since Logitech Wireless keyboard and mouse sets typically use one USB receiver for both devices, the USB filter may only be able to grab the receiver, which would take both mouse and keyboard.

So, you cannot have the Logitech software working in both host and VM with middle mouse button responding as desired in both, and have the mouse move smoothly between host and VM as in normal Virtualbox operation.

It may be possible to install other software in the VM that can catch the middle button and port it to the media pause command. Then disable the USB filter, leave the Logitech mouse and software on the host, and let the other software listen on Virtualbox's plain-vanilla mouse.