Mouse stops working after a few minutes or even seconds

Discussions related to using VirtualBox on Linux hosts.
ck-two
Primary OS: Ubuntu other
VBox Version: PUEL
Guest OSses: Windows 10, Ubuntu 20.04

Mouse stops working after a few minutes or even seconds

Post by ck-two »

Hello everybody,

I have installed VirtualBox 6.1.18 using the generic installer (VirtualBox-6.1.18-142142-Linux_amd64.run) on Fedora Workstation 33 (since the rpm package for Fedora 32 refused to install for dependency issues). The Expansion Pack and the Guest Additions for the Windows 10 guest are installed, too (no version mismatch, of course).

According to uname -a I run a 5.10 kernel version:

Code: Select all

$ uname -a
Linux localhost.localdomain 5.10.19-200.fc33.x86_64 #1 SMP Fri Feb 26 16:21:30 UTC 2021 x86_64 x86_64 x86_64 GNU/Linux
After launching the Windows guest, the mouse integration works for a few minutes (or even as little as a couple of seconds). Then, not only mouse integration into the guest stops working, but the VirtualBox Window as a whole does not respond to mouse clicks any more. The rest of the host system is not affected in any way.

Any ideas what I can try as a workaround are highly welcome and appreciated!

Regards,
ck-two

EDIT: I have just freshly installed a Ubuntu 20.04.2 guest to verify if the error I experience might be triggered by the Windows guest. The Ubuntu installer went cleanly through the process with the mouse available all the time. But when I installed the guest additions and rebooted Ubuntu, VirtualBox starts to display the same behavior over again (i. e. mouse becomes unavaible to the guest and the containing window after a short period of time). So this issue seems to be related to the guest additions.