Sluggish Virtual Box Windows 10 (guest) performance on Linux Mint (Host)

Discussions related to using VirtualBox on Linux hosts.
astralpr0jector

Sluggish Virtual Box Windows 10 (guest) performance on Linux Mint (Host)

Post by astralpr0jector »

Would like to note, I spent lots of research on google/youtube videos prior to create this post.

- - - - - - -

The problem:
Windows 10 Home (virtualbox) is running laggy on Linux Mint host.

How I know it's not normal:
Because I dedicated 8 processors, 8 GB of ram on it. A physical laptop I had with worse specs than that was running fast as lightning.

What's on the virtualbox:
  • Windows 10 Home (Downloaded from official Microsoft website, authentic activated with product key (no KMS activator etc)
    Guest additions all installed
    Fresh install. No software at all.
    Windows Update done fully.
    8GB ram
    8 processors
    Enabled nested VT-x/AMD-v checked
    Hyper-V virtualization
Specific things that are slow:
  • When I click the windows start menu there is a half second delay.
    When browsing file explorer there is also a half-full second delay
    If I take a window, drag it around in a circle it moves very choppy
    Drawing something in paint has a delay tail
    (not slow) but just one thing that I noticed, is when booting there is a 1-2 second of the windows logo being distorted and like 3-4 of them show up on the screen squeezed black and white
    (doesn't bother me, but just saying) the windows loading thing when booting is also laggy and not smooth.
Obviously to a normal person these things might not bother him. But for me I really need a windows virtualbox that I could multitask like crazy on it, I'm accustomed to working 3-4 programs at once at high speed - and these little things are VERY noticeable.

Host PC specs:
  • Linux Mint 20.1 MATE
    Self-built PC
    32gb ram
    Intel Core i9-10850K CPU @ 3.60GHz x 20
    GeForce GTX 1660 SUPER
    750W power supply
- - - - - - -

Another strange thing I'd like to add is yesterday I booted the windows and it wasn't as slow... today I boot it and its super slow. It seems the "slowness" is based on the computer's mood.

If anyone knows how to solve this problem, or perhaps have some advice based on experience of something similar - please share.

Thank you!
astralpr0jector

Re: Sluggish Virtual Box Windows 10 (guest) performance on Linux Mint (Host)

Post by astralpr0jector »

Btw, the version of Virtualbox is 6.1

UPDATE: UPDATE:
I have checked "Enabled 3D acceleration", which allowed me to move the Video memory up to 256mb (before it was 128mb).

The virtualbox works blazinggg fast now.
VERY VERY much better than before.

However. There is still a problem:
- For some reason the Start Menu, when opened - its background is fully transparent
- Some other menu elements are also transparent when opened
- Sometimes the display glitches. For example if I maximize a window, its contents don't show. This doesn't happen always but sometimes it happens.

This is already a very good improvement though.
Just want to find the reason why the other new problems are present.

====

OMG guys can you explain why virtualbox is so wierd...
Here is my algorithm of moves:

VBoxSVGA 256mb 3D = Blazzinggg fast
VBoxSVGA 256mb normal = choppy
VBoxSVGA 128mb normal = meh, slowish
VBoxSVGA 256mb 3D (same as first) = SLOW now....

Same settings...
Different performance..

I have a very big suspicion this all has to do with some video driver of something, or video memory used.
scottgus1
Site Moderator
Primary OS: MS Windows 10
VBox Version: PUEL
Guest OSses: Windows, Linux

Re: Sluggish Virtual Box Windows 10 (guest) performance on Linux Mint (Host)

Post by scottgus1 »

astralpr0jector wrote:For some reason the Start Menu, when opened - its background is fully transparent
This is known when 3D is on. Disable Settings > Personalization > Colors > Transparency Effects in your Windows guest.This might fix the other graphics glitches.
astralpr0jector wrote:8 processors
Way too many, roll that back to 2 until you install extra programs that might want to use up all 8.
astralpr0jector wrote:yesterday I booted the windows and it wasn't as slow... today I boot it and its super slow. It seems the "slowness" is based on the computer's mood.
If you always shut down the VM from the Start menu Shut Down instead of saving state, you can zip and post a vbox.log of the slow run of the VM, using the forum's Upload Attachment tab, if it happens again. The log might indicate a problem.