Fedora 33 (via .run): Can't start guest machine

Discussions related to using VirtualBox on Linux hosts.
galvao
Primary OS: Fedora 18
VBox Version: OSE Fedora
Guest OSses: Mainly different Fedora versions

Fedora 33 (via .run): Can't start guest machine

Post by galvao »

I've installed VirtualBox 6.1.16 by downloading and executing the VirtualBox-6.1.16-140961-Linux_amd64.run file from download.virtualbox.org

VirtualBox executes fine, but when I create a new guest machine and try to execute it (please note that the machine is completely new, has nothing on it yet) I keep getting the following:

Code: Select all

Failed to open a session for the virtual machine F33_PHP7.

The virtual machine 'F33_PHP7' has terminated unexpectedly during startup with exit code 1 (0x1).

Result Code: NS_ERROR_FAILURE (0x80004005)
Component: MachineWrap
Interface: IMachine {85632c68-b5bb-4316-a900-5eb28d3413df}
Googled eveywhere, tried everything, no luck.

How can I solve this?

TIA,
mpack
Site Moderator
Primary OS: MS Windows 10
VBox Version: PUEL
Guest OSses: Mostly XP

Re: Fedora 33 (via .run): Can't start guest machine

Post by mpack »

Please provide a VM log file. Make sure the VM is fully shut down, then right click it in the manager UI. Select "Show Log" and save "VBox.log" (no other file) to a zip file. Attach the zip here.
galvao
Primary OS: Fedora 18
VBox Version: OSE Fedora
Guest OSses: Mainly different Fedora versions

Post by galvao »

mpack wrote:Please provide a VM log file. Make sure the VM is fully shut down, then right click it in the manager UI. Select "Show Log" and save "VBox.log" (no other file) to a zip file. Attach the zip here.
Got nothing, even after hitting the refresh button:
"No log files found. Press the Refresh button to rescan the log folder /home/zaphod/VM/F33_PHP7/Logs."

Perhaps I should clarify: I could never start it, ever. It was only created, I couldn't even start it to install the OS.
sameprocedure

Post by sameprocedure »

I have exactly the same problem (also installed VirtualBox with the generic .run script on Fedora 33). Zipped VBox.log is attached.

It worked already for a while with this setup on Fedora 33, and broke after I installed the latest patches with "dnf upgrade" today. Uninstalling and re-installing VirtualBox did not solve the problem.

Further info: In my case, a dialog box popped up suggesting I should run /sbin/vboxconfig. I did so, and it failed and told me to look into /var/log/vbox-setup.log. There, I found a compilation error (actually a warning, but with -Werror it became an error):

/tmp/vbox.0/r0drv/linux/memobj-r0drv-linux.c: In Funktion »rtR0MemObjLinuxVMap«:
/tmp/vbox.0/r0drv/linux/memobj-r0drv-linux.c:560:34: Fehler: Implizite Deklaration der Funktion »alloc_vm_area« [-Werror=implicit-function-declaration]
560 | pMemLnx->pArea = alloc_vm_area(pMemLnx->Core.cb, papPtes); /* Note! pArea->nr_pages is not set. */
| ^~~~~~~~~~~~~
/tmp/vbox.0/r0drv/linux/memobj-r0drv-linux.c:560:32: Warnung: Zuweisung an »struct vm_struct *« von »int« wandelt eine Zahl in einen Zeiger um, ohne explizite Typkonvertierung [-Wint-conversion]
560 | pMemLnx->pArea = alloc_vm_area(pMemLnx->Core.cb, papPtes); /* Note! pArea->nr_pages is not set. */
| ^

Hope this helps to solve the issue.
Attachments
VBox.log.zip
(27.97 KiB) Downloaded 12 times
scottgus1
Site Moderator
Primary OS: MS Windows 10
Guest OSses: Windows, Linux

Post by scottgus1 »

I wonder if the kernel headers need to be reinstalled after the update per the Virtualbox prerequisites? https://www.virtualbox.org/manual/ch02. ... nux-prereq
Martin
Volunteer
Primary OS: Fedora other
Guest OSses: XP, Win7, Win10, Linux, OS/2

Post by Martin »

No, the kernel headers also get updated to the correct version.
The same error now also appears on Fedora 32 after the automatic update to kernel 5.10 with the VirtualBox 6.1.16 rpm from the official VirtualBox repo.