New VB Install VBManger Text Virtually Invisible

Discussions related to using VirtualBox on Linux hosts.
ZapMagnet

New VB Install VBManger Text Virtually Invisible

Post by ZapMagnet »

I am new to VB. Just installed VB Version 6.1.16 r140961 (Qt5.12.8) on Ubuntu Studio 20.04. The VB Manager starts but the text is the faintest of shadows (unreadable) on a white background. I can find no place to change Font/Colors. Once a tool button is selected, the newly created dialog boxes have visible white (or nearly so) text on black background, but the initial display remains apparently nearly white text on white background.

Neglected to mention that if VBManager started via sudo (VirtualBox %U), text is visible, black on white background.

Successfully created a WinXP Guest using sudo, but suspect using sudo is a bad idea.

Host-
Distributor ID: Ubuntu
Description: Ubuntu 20.04.1 LTS
Release: 20.04
Codename: focal

Running kernel 5.4.0-59-lowlatency #65-Ubuntu SMP PREEMPT x86_64 x86_64 x86_64 GNU/Linux

AMD FX(tm)-8350 Eight-Core Processor
AMD-V

Thanx in advance for your time.

ZapMagnet
mikec
Primary OS: Ubuntu other
VBox Version: OSE Debian
Guest OSses: windows 2000

Re: New VB Install VBManger Text Virtually Invisible

Post by mikec »

I am having the same problem. I see that no one answered your request. Did you ever figure it out? I am using MX Linux which has a Debian just like Ubuntu. I will try the MX forum.
scottgus1
Site Moderator
Primary OS: MS Windows 10
VBox Version: PUEL
Guest OSses: Windows, Linux

Post by scottgus1 »

Sorry we missed this topic earlier.
ZapMagnet wrote:The VB Manager starts but the text is the faintest of shadows (unreadable) on a white background.
if VBManager started via sudo (VirtualBox %U), text is visible, black on white background.
As best I know, VirtualBox does not contain any commands to control the font size of the words.

That starting it with a different account corrects the problem seems to indicate that the regular account has a problem. I remember reading that Virtualbox on Linux uses "Qt", and some folks have fixed display issues with Virtualbox by editing some settings file for Qt. I regret I don't know what to edit or where to find it, though.
mikec
Primary OS: Ubuntu other
VBox Version: OSE Debian
Guest OSses: windows 2000

Post by mikec »

Thanks for the info! At least its a place to start in case I ever have to use VB again. I decided my time was too valuable so I removed Virtualbox and installed VMware player and it works fine and meets my needs. No need for Virtualbox at least for now. I do like the VM interface better than VB. Plus I can read the text! :D