VM freezes under heavy load

Discussions related to using VirtualBox on Linux hosts.
Dexon

VM freezes under heavy load

Post by Dexon »

Hello Community,

I installed Virtualbox 6.0.14 on a server with Cent OS 7. The guest OS is Windows 10. I tried to run a program (MaxQuant) on Windows 10 but after some time (more than 2 hours) the Windows freezes.
I can connect with RDP on VM but the Windows are totally frozen. So, I need to restart the VM from the server. I attached the log file. I don’t know what to do. I will appreciate if someone can help me.

Host server spects:
CPUs: 2 x Xeon Gold 6148
RAM: 376GB

Thank you in advance!
Attachments
Log.zip
(71.05 KiB) Downloaded 10 times
scottgus1
Site Moderator
Primary OS: MS Windows 10
VBox Version: PUEL
Guest OSses: Windows, Linux

Re: VM freezes under heavy load

Post by scottgus1 »

Dexon wrote:after some time (more than 2 hours) the Windows freezes.
The log shows a guest that appears to run fine for 56 hours, then apparently starts flatlining for 2 hours then loses connection to its primary disk "NewVirtualDisk1.vdi":
58:10:36.947785 AHCI#0: Port 1 reset
58:10:37.035539 VD#1: Cancelling all active requests
<repeat ad infinitum>
This is just a guess, the log is not more specific on what might have been the problem:

You have two disks in the guest:
00:00:03.069538 File system of '/home/ilias/VirtualBox_VMs/Windows/NewVirtualDisk1.vdi' is ext4
00:00:03.074953 File system of '/home/ilias/VirtualBox_VMs/Windows/NewVirtualDisk3.vdi' is ext4
Both on the same host disk, if I read correctly. If there is a lot of disk activity with MaxQuant, you might want to put the 'NewVirtualDisk3.vdi' on a different physical disk.
fth0
Volunteer
Primary OS: Mac OS X other
Guest OSses: Linux, Windows 10, ...

Post by fth0 »

Dexon wrote:I don’t know what to do.
In the VM configuration, enable Use Host I/O Cache for the SATA controller, and see if the problem persists.
scottgus1 wrote:loses connection to its primary disk "NewVirtualDisk1.vdi"
Small correction, it's the secondary disk NewVirtualDisk3.vdi, which is connected to AHCI#0 Port 1 and VD#1 (both count from 0 to 7).
scottgus1
Site Moderator
Primary OS: MS Windows 10
Guest OSses: Windows, Linux

Post by scottgus1 »

fth0 wrote:it's the secondary disk NewVirtualDisk3.vdi
Ah, yes, good ol' base 0...
Dexon

Post by Dexon »

Hi again, I want to thank you again for your answers and interest.
fth0 wrote:
Dexon wrote:I don’t know what to do.
In the VM configuration, enable Use Host I/O Cache for the SATA controller, and see if the problem persists.

I tried to run MaxQuant with the parameter "Use Host I/O Cache" enabled but the result is the same, the VM freezed.
I think that something happens with the set up of disks on server. The server has 2 disks 1) 240GB for the host os (Cent OS) and 2) 30TB HDD
VM is on 30TB HDD. I thought that 30TB are in RAID mode but I didn't detect any RAID configuration. So I think that the 30TB disk is in a storage box which performs RAID configuration and this box is connected with the server.
So with this way the server detects it as a physical HDD of 30TB. Am I wrong? What is your opinion? I attached a screenshot with the disks configuration on server.
Thank you again for your help!
Attachments
hard disk set up.png
hard disk set up.png (91.37 KiB) Viewed 1932 times
fth0
Volunteer

Post by fth0 »

Hardware RAID controllers typically hide the individual drives and show them only with special commands or command variants, so I'd assume that /dev/sdb is already the RAIDed combination of two physical disk drives.

You could provide a zipped VBox.log file for the use case with Host I/O Cache, so that we can compare it to the previous VBox.log file.
Dexon

Post by Dexon »

fth0 wrote:Hardware RAID controllers typically hide the individual drives and show them only with special commands or command variants, so I'd assume that /dev/sdb is already the RAIDed combination of two physical disk drives.
You could provide a zipped VBox.log file for the use case with Host I/O Cache, so that we can compare it to the previous VBox.log file.
Hi again,
I attached the VBox.log file with "Host I/O Cache" enebaled.
If I understand right the problem with the hard disk persists
Also I detected the below rows inside the VBox.log:

81:53:28.639896 ***
81:53:28.639897 VCPU[17] hardware virtualization state:
81:53:28.639898 fLocalForcedActions = 0x0
81:53:28.639899 No/inactive hwvirt state
81:53:28.639899 ***

Is it possible the virtualization abilities to be disabled from the BIOS?
Thank you again for your help!
Attachments
VBox with Host IO Cache enabled.rar
(63.95 KiB) Downloaded 8 times
fth0
Volunteer

Post by fth0 »

Dexon wrote:I attached the VBox.log file with "Host I/O Cache" enebaled.
No, you didn't. ;)
Dexon

Post by Dexon »

Oh, sorry I uploaded the right file.
Attachments
VBox with IO cache.zip
(70.02 KiB) Downloaded 5 times
fth0
Volunteer

Post by fth0 »

Ok. Some further ideas:

For the next VM run, note the wall clock times when you connect/disconnect to/from the VM, and on which connection you encounter which exact notable behavior. If necessary, try to keep the host from going to sleep.

Provide less vCPUs to the VM:
Your CPU has 20 physical cores (plus hyperthreading). If you provide 20 vCPUs to the VM, and the guest uses them near 100%, then the host maybe struggles to do disk I/O or anything else in behalf of the guest in a timely manner. Find out how much the host has to do, and reduce the number of vCPUs accordingly. For example, if there Is 80% calculation and 20% disk I/O, provide only 16 vCPUs to the VM.