Network slow in one direction after 7.0.8 upgrade

Discussions related to using VirtualBox on Linux hosts.
Worli
Primary OS: Debian other
VBox Version: OSE Debian
Guest OSses: Windows 10+11, Debian

Network slow in one direction after 7.0.8 upgrade

Post by Worli »

I found the same issue with my Debian 11 host. Tested with Windows 10 and 11. Upload to any other destination like storage box or also to the Internet is extremely slow, sometimes with interruptions. Any download to the Windows-Client runs fine with up to 110 MB/s. I tested with smb/cifs and ftp connections. Under virtualbox 6.x no issue. Any idea here?
Kind regards, Worli
scottgus1
Site Moderator
Primary OS: MS Windows 10
VBox Version: PUEL
Guest OSses: Windows, Linux

Re: Network slow in one direction after 7.0.8 upgrade

Post by scottgus1 »

Start the VM from full normal shutdown, not save-state. Run until you see the problem happen, then shut down the VM from within the VM's OS if possible. If not possible, close the Virtualbox window for the VM with the Power Off option set.

Right-click the VM in the main Virtualbox window's VM list, choose Show in Explorer/Finder/File Manager. In the "Logs" subfolder, zip the VM's "vbox.log", and post the zip file, using the forum's Upload Attachment tab. (Configure your host OS to show all extensions so you can find the "vbox.log", not "vbox.log.1", etc.)
Worli

Post by Worli »

Thank you, I did it exactly as you wrote. Kind regards, Worli
Attachments
VBox-log.zip
Windows 11 Log
(57.48 KiB) Downloaded 93 times
mpack
Site Moderator
Guest OSses: Mostly XP

Post by mpack »

00:00:00.061628 NumCPUs <integer> = 0x000000000000000c (12)
00:00:00.228309 CPUM: Physical host cores: 12
Ouch. Even if you had 12 cores to give, why does this VM need them? I would reduce to 2 cores. 4 at most. Please remember that VirtualBox itself is a host app. Assigning more cores to guest code does not make VirtualBox run faster.

Also, going to a 2K display size without enabling graphics acceleration is going to be a problem. If possible you should enable 3D acceleration.

Let's see where we are after that.
Worli

Post by Worli »

Well, you‘re of course absolutely right with the too many cores/cpu! Was only for testing. Normally its set to four. So niw its set to four. I also activated 3-D acceleration. But as long as it’s activated the vm doesn’t boot anymore. It hangs with the Windows recovery console (I never used 3D before….). Also no change in regards to the very slow „send“-performance of network: 355 KB/s. Receive performance is at ~117 MB/s.KR.
Worli

Post by Worli »

I checked many settings as written in the postings and more. Since nothing led to a better network upload performance I changed the Windows 11 guest now to the following (workaround):

* Installed Guest additions: 6.1.44 (with 7.0.8 the windows guest always fully crashed after one minute)
* Network: NAT (with „Bridged“, the upload performance is still very bad!)
* Remote Display Server enabled (connect remotely now via host-ip + specific port)
* 3D-Acceleration disabled (when enabled, the guest completely crashes!)

So for me for the moment solved!
scottgus1
Site Moderator

Post by scottgus1 »

Worlii, I split your posts off to their own topic, per Do not hijack other threads, create your own. (another good reason not to me-too, but to start your own topic, it confuses OP's topic).

Glad you found a workaround!
shafuq

Post by shafuq »

Hi all, my first post here. I just wanted to share the solution I found after days of research. The problem was the same as a lot of posts here (this post is one of them.) Basically VMs upload speed would be extremely slow to network shares. I'm using a Linux host with Win10 VM running on bridged mode. Changing to NAT only speed up the process a bit but didn't really resolve it. Also I wanted to keep using bridged mode.

The solution was to disable “Large Send Offload (IPv4)” on the VMs network adapter.

Ref:
https://serverfault.com/questions/68335 ... vably-slow

It took me days to find this so I hope it helps!
Last edited by shafuq on 19. Jan 2024, 15:47, edited 1 time in total.
scottgus1
Site Moderator

Post by scottgus1 »

Thanks, shafuq, for your report! You can edit in the link and add some spaces along the line starting at the https side, one at a time, until the link filter stops triggering. After we check the link a mod can un-space it for you.
shafuq

Post by shafuq »

scottgus1 wrote: 19. Jan 2024, 15:45 Thanks, shafuq, for your report! You can edit in the link and add some spaces along the line starting at the https side, one at a time, until the link filter stops triggering. After we check the link a mod can un-space it for you.
Just did. Thank you!
Worli

Post by Worli »

Thank you vermuch, shafuq, this has indeed solved the problem in my case!!!

I disabled the "Large Send Offload (IPv4)" only on the VM client (Windows 11 Pro 23H2) and didnt change something on the VM host (Debian 11).
I then did an extreme test: video cutting, with the source and destination both on a network drive (I don't normally do it like this, of course :D ). But works perfectly.

Cheers, Worli