zorin takes 5 Min. to boot on 7.0.8

Discussions related to using VirtualBox on Linux hosts.
lpmanjaro

zorin takes 5 Min. to boot on 7.0.8

Post by lpmanjaro »

Host is Manjaro, and Zorin in a raw metal install that vbox boots via VMDK file, but after installing vbox 7.0.8 zorin takes 5 minutes to boot and is waiting on a job running vboxadd.service.
Both the vbox extention and guest additions are at 7.0.8.
Any ideas what needs to be done to fix ?

Other (Non-ubuntu based) distros don't have this issue.
EndeavourOS and Mxlinux boot ok in same virtual secinaro.
scottgus1
Site Moderator
Primary OS: MS Windows 10
VBox Version: PUEL
Guest OSses: Windows, Linux

Re: zorin takes 5 Min. to boot on 7.0.8

Post by scottgus1 »

lpmanjaro wrote:zorin takes 5 Min. to boot on 7.0.8
Does this mean that earlier versions of Virtualbox did not have this slow boot problem? If so, what was the last successful version? If the 7.0.8 Guest Additions are uninstalled, does the problem happen?

Also, A vbox.log of the slow boot, and a normal fast boot, might not come amiss to the forum guru that may look into this.
lpmanjaro

Post by lpmanjaro »

Good call Scottgus1...
I installed a downlevel GuestAdditions (7.0.6) and Zorin boots normally.
Not sure I want to live with a downlevel GuestAdditions. Hopefully this will be fix in GA 7.0.8.
scottgus1
Site Moderator

Post by scottgus1 »

It might be good to post this with the good and failing logs on the Bugtracker
fth0
Volunteer
Primary OS: Mac OS X other
Guest OSses: Linux, Windows 10, ...

Post by fth0 »

lpmanjaro wrote:Not sure I want to live with a downlevel GuestAdditions.
You could try the VirtualBox Guest Additions 7.0.9 from the VirtualBox test builds page ... ;)
lpmanjaro

Post by lpmanjaro »

I tried GA 7.0.9 with the same results as 7.0.8. Dropping back to 7.0.6 and Zorin loads as expected. I did notice that when running "sh VBoxLinuxAdditions.run" in 7.0.8 or 7.0.9 that it took 5 minutes for the update to finish. No msgs as when vbox booting Zorin with either 7.0.8 or 7.0.9 installed, just a 5 minute delay for the install of GA to finish. The results in /var/log/vboxadd-setup.log are the same for all versions of GA install.
I do realize that it's a bit much to ask Oracle to have ALL of the versions of a virtual enviornment at hand to test every possible setup consdiering Windows versions, Linux distros etc etc. I do have a "stumblling" install that isn't working exactly right but would need a little advice on what to gather for their developers to examine. I'm not a total novice but getting exactly what they would need and where to find it on my system would be helpful. Also where to send it and in what format could expidete the process.
-L
lpmanjaro

Post by lpmanjaro »

scottgus1 Took your advice and posted syslogs on Bugtracker and they came back with suggestion to install perl gcc make, of course on the guest, then reinstall GA 7.0.8. So I followed their advice and all works well with Zorin and 7.0.8. Time to close this one !!!
lpmanjaro

Post by lpmanjaro »

Spoke too soon, after attempting to update the many client Linux distros I found that Sparky has the same issue as Zorin, but perl,gcc and make are already installed on my Sparky distro. I'll update Bugtracker with the syslog from Sparky and see what comes of that.
phillip

Post by phillip »

For another point of reference. I'm running OL8 as a Host, and OL9 as a guest. The OL9 guest takes 5 minutes to boot, and it shows vboxadd.service slow to start on the console. I've been running 7.0.8 host, and guest extensions for a while. It only seemed to happen when I updated the guest OS kernel 5.15.0-101.103.2.1.el9uek.x86_64. I will admit that I might have updated a lot of things at the same time. I have rebuilt a new OL9 guest to the kernel listed(latest patches), and it still has the same slow start of the vboxadd.service. Once it is up, the clip board functions, and screen resizing all work.
GotD

Post by GotD »

I had the same 5 min wait at startup problem. after installing VBoxGusetAdditions_7.0.8.iso file.

Created a service named vboxadd.service in /etc/systemd/system/, with only an echo hallo line. and made it executable.

Now it boots really fast again.
scottgus1
Site Moderator

Post by scottgus1 »

Could each poster here zip and post a log of their VM?

Start the VM from full normal shutdown, not save-state. Run until you see the problem happen, then shut down the VM from within the VM's OS if possible. If not possible, close the Virtualbox window for the VM with the Power Off option set.

Right-click the VM in the main Virtualbox window's VM list, choose Show in Explorer/Finder/File Manager. In the "Logs" subfolder, zip the VM's "vbox.log", and post the zip file, using the forum's Upload Attachment tab. (Configure your host OS to show all extensions so you can find the "vbox.log", not "vbox.log.1", etc.)
scottgus1
Site Moderator

Post by scottgus1 »

Reason for investigating the log is to check for mismatch in Guest Additions kernel modules and service apps. The poster here viewtopic.php?t=109459 had slow boots and mismatched GAs parts. Handling the prerequisites for GAs before the install fixed the problem.
https://www.virtualbox.org/manual/ch04. ... ions-linux and https://www.virtualbox.org/manual/ch02. ... nux-prereq
aatifk

Post by aatifk »

So glad that I found this thread - joined to forum to just say thanks. Was having the same issue thought I'm running VBox on a Windows host but guest is a Debian machine. My problem was missing the linux headers, and what worked for me was removing GA, installing the headers, rebooting and then reinstalling GA. Everything works as expected now. Thank you!
scottgus1
Site Moderator

Post by scottgus1 »

Great, aatifk! Glad you're up and running.