WIndows 11 guest boots fine under Cinnamon WM but throws an error if I try to run under Gnome on Way

Discussions related to using VirtualBox on Linux hosts.
Biofool

WIndows 11 guest boots fine under Cinnamon WM but throws an error if I try to run under Gnome on Way

Post by Biofool »

VBox Version 7.0.6_Ubuntu r155176
I have a Windows 11 guest (allupdates) that boots fine under Cinnamon WM but throws an error if I try to run under Gnome on Wayland.
It also hangs eventually under Cinamon but I see I need to downgrade my VBox as I am experiencing 1 CPU pegs to 100% and the VM stops responding.
Attachments
VBoxLogs.txt.gz
(111.56 KiB) Downloaded 2 times
scottgus1
Site Moderator
Primary OS: MS Windows 10
VBox Version: PUEL
Guest OSses: Windows, Linux

Re: WIndows 11 guest boots fine under Cinnamon WM but throws an error if I try to run under Gnome on

Post by scottgus1 »

Biofool wrote:VBox Version 7.0.6_Ubuntu
This means you're using Ubuntu's fork of Virtualbox. Since the problem centers on which desktop environment you run Ubuntu's Virtualbox fork under, you might need to ask Ubuntu about it. We only support official http://www.virtualbox.org Virtualbox here. The distros support their forks.

I can't see anything wrong in the log file, except that for some reason you appended three log files into the same text file then zipped the whole thing. It will be much easier on the Ubuntu folks (and us too if you ever decide to run Official) if you leave the logs as separate files and simply zip the group of files.

One thing I do see, that might bite you one day: The VM has 13 (!) processors in it. A VM runs slower with more processors, due to extra scheduling oversight in the host OS. Two processors is great for a typical Windows VM, and only add processors when you're running multi-processor-aware 3rd-party apps (like video transcoding etc) in the VM. If your installed app really needs a baker's dozen of processors, it may be better to run that app on bare metal.