Moving VM on Vbox 7

Discussions related to using VirtualBox on Linux hosts.
sgtmcc

Moving VM on Vbox 7

Post by sgtmcc »

I have a source VM, both windows 10 and 11 on a network connected computer. I am trying to push it out to my non-internet connected Lan via a USB drive

When I had Virtualbox 6, I would copy the vbox and vdi files, transfer them to my USB disk and then on to my network and everything was fine

I have upgraded to Virtualbox 7, and now doing that will not work anymore. I get "Automatic Disk Repair" and then go to WinRE with no way of fixing. I had used the clone option with some success, but it does not always work. I have verified all setting are the same on both the source and the copy. Anyone else run into this or know of a good reliable fix?
scottgus1
Site Moderator
Primary OS: MS Windows 10
VBox Version: PUEL
Guest OSses: Windows, Linux

Re: Moving VM on Vbox 7

Post by scottgus1 »

It's not the moving of the VM, it's the upgrade to 7.0. Sone other folks have reported VMs going into repair mode when upgrading to 7.0 without the move. What the actual problem is, though, we don't know yet.

Please zip and post a log from the VM on 7.0 going into Repair, and if possible a log from the same VM on the 6 host where it works well:

Start the VM from full normal shutdown, not save-state. Run until you see the problem happen, then shut down the VM from within the VM's OS if possible. If not possible, close the Virtualbox window for the VM with the Power Off option set.

Right-click the VM in the main Virtualbox window's VM list, choose Show in Explorer/Finder/File Manager. In the "Logs" subfolder, zip the VM's "vbox.log", and post the zip file, using the forum's Upload Attachment tab. (Configure your host OS to show all extensions so you can find the "vbox.log", not "vbox.log.1", etc.)
sgtmcc

Post by sgtmcc »

That's going to be a problem. The computers it goes on can have information coming in fairly easy, but taking the info off would not be feasible. Thanks for at least confirming it's a known issue.
scottgus1
Site Moderator

Post by scottgus1 »

Are you saying that getting the logs off will be a problem? Draconian IT dept?
sgtmcc

Post by sgtmcc »

Yes getting the logs off will be a problem, not Draconian, but government classified. No matter what the data is, iff it is on the computer, it is considered classified
scottgus1
Site Moderator

Post by scottgus1 »

OK. I'd suggest going back to 6.1.something, what you were running before, and let 7.0 mature some more.