Can't install Debian 11 on Ubuntu

Discussions related to using VirtualBox on Linux hosts.
Melhior

Can't install Debian 11 on Ubuntu

Post by Melhior »

Hi,
I've been trying for days to install Debian bullseye on virtualbox but every single time I get the same problem
When the installation is complete, I get a blackscreen with only a [    _    ] popping in and out, it's been like that for hours now.
What I tried :
1) Restarting the VM (obviously)
2) Reinstalling it with different parameters (without any additional packages)
3) allocating more space/cpu/ram
4) tinkering with the "System" parameters until something different happens (if I Enable EFI it starts differently with yellow characters and all but still won't start)
5) Reinstalling by only clicking OK OK OK without changing anything
Same outcome.

I hope it's important to mention that I'm running it on Ubuntu 22.04 which starts from GRUB (ubuntu - w10)
Please help.
Attachments
VBox.log
(86.01 KiB) Downloaded 20 times
mpack
Site Moderator
Primary OS: MS Windows 10
VBox Version: PUEL
Guest OSses: Mostly XP

Re: Can't install Debian 11 on Ubuntu

Post by mpack »

Try assigning 2 CPU cores (vCPUs), and increase graphics RAM to 128MB.
Melhior

Post by Melhior »

Sorry for the delay, and thank you for your answer but it didn't work (unless I did it wrong?)
Here I recorded my parameters and how the launch goes.

youtube . com/watch?v=9jK_wHZO2bg

(Can't post urls yet)

The boot order mentions floppy, optical and hard disk but again, those are the default options and I don't know if they make any difference.
scottgus1
Site Moderator
Guest OSses: Windows, Linux

Post by scottgus1 »

Ubuntu is known to go blackscreen if there is not enough free disk space to start the desktop environment. This happens in real PCs too. The solution is to log on text-only and delete stuff until the desktop environment can start. Web-search how to fix this in an Ubuntu PC and apply the steps to the VM. Also see How to Resize a Drive

Also try HostKey-F to toggle the VM's Fullscreen setting.
Melhior

Post by Melhior »

scottgus1 wrote:Ubuntu is known to go blackscreen if there is not enough free disk space to start the desktop environment. This happens in real PCs too. The solution is to log on text-only and delete stuff until the desktop environment can start. Web-search how to fix this in an Ubuntu PC and apply the steps to the VM. Also see How to Resize a Drive

Also try HostKey-F to toggle the VM's Fullscreen setting.
I think you misunderstand the problem, my own Ubuntu starts on a NVMe disk with 123,3gb of space, 30,4gb is used (including for the VM)
The debian I'm trying to install has 21,95gb of allocated space, and doesn't start for some reason.

I'm not trying to setup Ubuntu in Virtualbox, but Debian. The Ubuntu is my primary OS on which VirtualBox is installed.
Here's my most recent log, I deleted the the old ones, started the machine until it showed the beeping underscore, waited a few seconds and shut it down.

https://textdoc.co/index.php/0weE4rLnGX9Nfbmp
(Again, file is too big and can't upload it without posting a url)
scottgus1
Site Moderator

Post by scottgus1 »

Sorry, forgot to replace "Ubuntu" with "Debian". Ubuntu is based on Debian, and the blackscreen thing may be from the parent instead of the child.

And there was the "Fullscreen" thing....

Zipped logs fit on Upload Attachment.
Melhior

Post by Melhior »

scottgus1 wrote:Sorry, forgot to replace "Ubuntu" with "Debian". Ubuntu is based on Debian, and the blackscreen thing may be from the parent instead of the child.

And there was the "Fullscreen" thing....

Zipped logs fit on Upload Attachment.
Yeah sorry about that but the .log file weights 144kbs for some reason, (limit is 128) and if I answered that is because I have plenty of space but as you can see on the video, nothing boots up.
I checked how to login in text only, but I can't even do that because nothing appears. I found that reddit post from 6 months ago with the exact same problem, but even the Alt+F2 key (and any other combination imaginable) doesn't do anything.

The problem clearly comes from the graphic drivers, but I can't even install them from debian because it doesn't let me give him the instructions...
scottgus1
Site Moderator

Post by scottgus1 »

Melhior wrote:the .log file weights 144kbs
And when you .zip it, what happens?

Did you try toggling Fullscreen?
Melhior

Post by Melhior »

scottgus1 wrote:
Melhior wrote:the .log file weights 144kbs
And when you .zip it, what happens?

Did you try toggling Fullscreen?
Fullscreen works fine, the "window" is scaled in the middle but it's working, although nothing else is showing up.
And the log file can be uploaded in a .rar yep.
Attachments
VBox.rar
(26.05 KiB) Downloaded 2 times
scottgus1
Site Moderator

Post by scottgus1 »

the log wrote:00:00:00.755079 VirtualBox VM 6.1.42 r155177 linux.amd64 (Jan 11 2023 20:17:44) release log
00:00:03.519829 VMMDev: Guest Log: BIOS: Booting from Hard Disk...
(no log lines here, log goes from 0:03 to 0:06)
00:00:06.546076 Changing the VM state from 'RUNNING' to 'SUSPENDING'
The VM's OS ran for only 3.03 seconds. Some OS's are pretty quick, but I haven't seen one that can get anywhere near the desktop, let alone start all its background services and get to the login screen, in only 3 seconds. My DOS VM is really fast, because it has so little to do, but it's not 3 seconds fast.

The VM OS apparently never showed any activity. Maybe it wasn't left on long enough?
Melhior

Post by Melhior »

scottgus1 wrote:
the log wrote:00:00:00.755079 VirtualBox VM 6.1.42 r155177 linux.amd64 (Jan 11 2023 20:17:44) release log
(no log lines here, log goes from 0:03 to 0:06)
00:00:06.546076 Changing the VM state from 'RUNNING' to 'SUSPENDING'
The VM's OS ran for only 3.03 seconds. Some OS's are pretty quick, but I haven't seen one that can get anywhere near the desktop, let alone start all its background services and get to the login screen, in only 3 seconds. My DOS VM is really fast, because it has so little to do, but it's not 3 seconds fast.

The VM OS apparently never showed any activity. Maybe it wasn't left on long enough?
No that's just an example of what happens before it reaches the "buggy" state. I left it running for hours with no changes.
fth0
Volunteer
Primary OS: Mac OS X other
Guest OSses: Linux, Windows 10, ...

Post by fth0 »

fth0's VBox.log file wrote:
00:00:05.062953 VMMDev: Guest Log: BIOS: Boot : bseqnr=3, bootseq=0002
00:00:05.063440 VMMDev: Guest Log: BIOS: Boot from Hard Disk 0 failed
00:00:05.064306 VMMDev: Guest Log: No bootable medium found! System halted.
[...]
00:00:09.645669 /IEM/CPU0/cInstructions               612 count
[...]
00:00:09.646669 /Public/Storage/PIIX3IDE0/Port0/BytesRead      512 bytes
When I create a new VM and run it without installing anything on the virtual hard disk, VirtualBox reads the MBR from the 1st sector of the virtual hard disk, doesn't find any bootable partition and stops with the "FATAL: No bootable medium found! System halted." message on the screen. The IEM executes 612 CPU instructions for that.
Melhior's VBox.log file wrote:
[...]
00:00:07.715407 /IEM/CPU0/cInstructions               660 count
[...]
00:00:07.718656 /Public/Storage/AHCI0/Port0/BytesRead      512 bytes
VirtualBox has only read the 1st sector from the virtual hard disk, perhaps containing an MBR. Perhaps the virtual hard disk has been formatted with the GPT partitioning scheme instead of the MBR partitioning scheme. VirtualBox does not support the combination of legacy BIOS and GPT, so you have to either choose "legacy BIOS + MBR" or "UEFI BIOS + GPT" when installing a guest OS.
Melhior

Post by Melhior »

Sorry but I'm giving up now, It's been days that I've been experimenting and researching and still no changes, it's pissing me off, I'm out.