Guest addition doesn't seem to be properly installed in my Windows 11 VM on my PopOS host

Discussions related to using VirtualBox on Linux hosts.
TomasJansson

Guest addition doesn't seem to be properly installed in my Windows 11 VM on my PopOS host

Post by TomasJansson »

I'm running VB 7 BETA 3, I needed to run the beta to be able to install Windows on VirtualBox on my dekstop. No matter how hard I try I can't change the resolution, or copy paste between host and VM. I've tried to install the guest additions multiple times, but that doesn't help.

My desktop is a amd64 running Pop OS:

Distributor ID: Pop
Description: Pop!_OS 22.04 LTS
Release: 22.04
Codename: jammy

The Windows OS isn't activated, but I don't think that should have anything to say.If you have any idea what the problem might be let me know.
TomasJansson

Re: Guest addition doesn't seem to be properly installed in my Windows 11 VM on my PopOS host

Post by TomasJansson »

Solved, to some degree. Not sure why installed the beta version, installing 7.0.6 fixed it to some degree. I still can't get full resolution, my desktop has 3440x1440, but the larges I get in the VM is 1920x1440.
Jeff_M

Re: Guest addition doesn't seem to be properly installed in my Windows 11 VM on my PopOS host

Post by Jeff_M »

I have the same issue, so hoping someone can help.

Host Linux MX 21.3
Guest Windows 11 Pro
VirtualBox 7.0.10, with Guest Additions and Extension Pack

My monitor is a 4K unit, running 3480x2160 res in MX. Inside the VM, the best I can do with Win 11 is 1920x1440.

Of interest is that 3D Acceleration doesn't work at all. If that box is checked, Win 11 will not start.

I'm using VBoxSVGA. I've tried VBoxVGA and VMSVGA also (neither of which support 3D) but the resolution size was either the same or smaller.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.
Jeff.