Issues with USB Serial Adapter

Discussions related to using VirtualBox on Linux hosts.
hawkbraz

Issues with USB Serial Adapter

Post by hawkbraz »

Hi, I'm having some issues with USB connection on a Virtual Machine running on a Linux Host and Windows Guest.

The USB device is a USB Serial Port [0100] and when I select to connect to the guest it disappear from the list of options and sometime latter reappear in the list as disconnected.

What may be happening? Is there a place where I can get some logs or can you help me with some ideias?
scottgus1
Site Moderator
Primary OS: MS Windows 10
VBox Version: PUEL
Guest OSses: Windows, Linux

Re: Issues with USB Serial Adapter

Post by scottgus1 »

Carefully go through USB basics and troubleshooting. If you finish all the steps 1-7 and cannot get your USB device into the guest OS, carefully post the outputs of the commands in step 8 as text, not screenshots. Zip and post the logs step 8 call for, using the forum's Upload Attachment tab.
mpack
Site Moderator
Guest OSses: Mostly XP

Post by mpack »

And perhaps explain why the VM needs to own the USB side of it.
hawkbraz

Post by hawkbraz »

mpack wrote:And perhaps explain why the VM needs to own the USB side of it.
Sorry, do you want to know why the VM needs this device? Or, in another words, why do I want to do with this USB device?
mpack
Site Moderator

Post by mpack »

Nope. I want to know why the VM needs to be in charge of the USB aspect, why you didn't just use the "Serial Ports" part of the VM settings and let the host manage its own hardware.
hawkbraz

Post by hawkbraz »

mpack wrote:Nope. I want to know why the VM needs to be in charge of the USB aspect, why you didn't just use the "Serial Ports" part of the VM settings and let the host manage its own hardware.
Ohhhh... I've tried to do it but the sw (installed on Windows Guest) couldn't find and connect on the device, so as it seems the software needs direct access to the USB it self.
hawkbraz

Post by hawkbraz »

scottgus1 wrote:Carefully go through . If you finish all the steps 1-7 and cannot get your USB device into the guest OS, carefully post the outputs of the commands in step 8 as text, not screenshots. Zip and post the logs step 8 call for, using the forum's Upload Attachment tab.
I've followed the troubleshooting but no lucky... Same issues:

00:00:31.755373 VUSB: Attached '00007f7d102c5e80[proxy 04d8:000a]' to port 2 on RootHub#1 (FullSpeed)
00:00:32.645525 usb-linux: Reset failed, rc=VERR_NOT_SUPPORTED errno=19.
00:00:32.655366 VUSB: Detached '00007f7d102c5e80[proxy 04d8:000a]' from port 2 on RootHub#1
Downloads.zip
Logs
(36.44 KiB) Downloaded 7 times
mpack
Site Moderator

Post by mpack »

Did you remember to add your Linux user account to the "vboxusers" group?
hawkbraz

Post by hawkbraz »

mpack wrote:Did you remember to add your Linux user account to the "vboxusers" group?
Yes I did it.

pebaserver@pebaserver:/$ sudo groups pebaserver
pebaserver : pebaserver adm cdrom sudo dip plugdev lpadmin lxd sambashare vboxusers
hawkbraz

Post by hawkbraz »

Any new ideas guys?
mpack
Site Moderator

Post by mpack »

Sorry, I have no new info and I don't see anything wrong. All I can suggest is to create a valid USB filter, and make sure nothing in the host is already using that serial port.