Existing Windows 11 hangs up shortly after installation on Ubuntu 22.04 / VirtualBox 7.0.6

Discussions related to using VirtualBox on Linux hosts.
MLu

Existing Windows 11 hangs up shortly after installation on Ubuntu 22.04 / VirtualBox 7.0.6

Post by MLu »

I've installed Windows 11 from the official ISO image using the Guided setup wizard. It installed OK, and after installation I could login and use it for a few minutes but then it locked up for no apparent reason. I only had the WIndows Preferences window open, nothing extraordinary.

The same actually happens to my other two VMs that I have transferred to this laptop from an older Ubuntu 18.04 / VirtualBox 6.1.40 where they used to run happily for years. Same VirtualBox config, same VDIs, different host hardware and newer Ubuntu and now they lock up after a few minutes.

I have even tried to downgrade to 6.1.40 on this new Ubuntu but it didn't make any difference.

Attached is the Log.

Any idea what's going on and how to fix it? Thanks!
Attachments
VBox.log.gz
Log from the WIndows 11 installation
(30.38 KiB) Downloaded 4 times
MLu

Re: Existing Windows 11 hangs up shortly after installation on Ubuntu 22.04 / VirtualBox 7.0.6

Post by MLu »

Browsing through the forums I decided to downgrade the USB to 1.0 and disable transparency effects in windows but it still locked up after a while. New logs attached.
Attachments
VBox.log.gz
(38.07 KiB) Downloaded 3 times
scottgus1
Site Moderator
Primary OS: MS Windows 10
VBox Version: PUEL
Guest OSses: Windows, Linux

Re: Existing Windows 11 hangs up shortly after installation on Ubuntu 22.04 / VirtualBox 7.0.6

Post by scottgus1 »

Graphics and Guest Additions in 7.0 are a new kind and are being worked on yet.

Please keep your VM on 7.0.6 Virtualbox, Extension Pack, and Guest Additions for the moment.

Start the VM from full normal shutdown, not save-state. Run until you see the problem happen, then shut down the VM from within the VM's OS if possible. If not possible, close the Virtualbox window for the VM with the Power Off option set.

Please create a ticket in the Bugtracker with the problem description, the manufacturer and model of the host PC's graphics card, the graphics driver version (on the host OS), and a (zipped) VBox.log file.

Also, please provide a zip file with the output of the 'vulkaninfo' command in the Bugtracker ticket, too. (on Debian/Ubuntu/Mint hosts, you may have to install the vulkan-tools package).

Then try reverting the Guest Additions back to 6.1.40 or .42, which is reported to re-stabilize the VM.