one of my VMs quit working

Discussions related to using VirtualBox on Linux hosts.
n8dagr8
Primary OS: Ubuntu other
VBox Version: PUEL
Guest OSses: Ubuntu, Fedora, Windows

one of my VMs quit working

Post by n8dagr8 »

I have an ubuntu host running 3 virtual machines. One of these quit responding. In trying to reboot it, vboxmanage list running vms says it is running, but i cannot get to the VM via ssh or vrde. I also cannot ping the vm which is configured with a static ip address. Any ideas on how to recover? Log file attached.
Attachments
VBox.log
(73.69 KiB) Downloaded 8 times
mpack
Site Moderator
Primary OS: MS Windows 10
Guest OSses: Mostly XP

Re: one of my VMs quit working

Post by mpack »

Unfortunately the provided log is almost useless. You need to close down the VM before copying out the files that it was writing. Then zip the log before attaching here.

A couple of things I can see right at the start of the log.
  1. The Extension Pack version is wrong. EP versions must match the host software.
  2. Reduce the CPU allocation to 2 cores. Your 4 core host obviously can't afford 4 cores for a VM.
n8dagr8
Primary OS: Ubuntu other
Guest OSses: Ubuntu, Fedora, Windows

Post by n8dagr8 »

I do remember seeing virtualbox update during an update and I didn't think to update the EP (manually). I have updated the Expansion Pack to match and Updated the number of COR to 2. These did not resolve the issues. My other VMs will all still boot.

I booted the VM and tried multiple times to access via SSH and VRDE - no luck. No response to a ping. I tried to shutdown using vboxmanage controlvm "vmname" acpipowerbutton. That said, vbox is still showing it as running.

I uploaded a few of the log files.
Attachments
VBox_Updated.zip
(72.36 KiB) Downloaded 4 times
fth0
Volunteer
Primary OS: Mac OS X other
Guest OSses: Linux, Windows 10, ...

Post by fth0 »

In the VM configuration, I'd suggest to change Display > Screen > Graphics Adapter to VMSVGA and Display > Remote Display > Authentication Method to Null.