Deleting a guest doesn't work

Discussions related to using VirtualBox on Linux hosts.
camvirt

Deleting a guest doesn't work

Post by camvirt »

I am using 7.0.4 of virtualbox running on MX-21 linux and when I delete a guest and select delete all files the GUI disappears but the file remains in /home/User/virtualbox VM. If i create another guest with the same name virtualbox warns me and prevents me from creating the same name.

Is this a known problem?
scottgus1
Site Moderator
Primary OS: MS Windows 10
VBox Version: PUEL
Guest OSses: Windows, Linux

Re: Deleting a guest doesn't work

Post by scottgus1 »

It's not a problem that I have heard about. On my Windows host running 7.0.4, Delete All Files removes the whole VM folder and all files within.
camvirt wrote:the file remains in /home/User/virtualbox VM
If this really means "the folder remains", then this could be because there is a file within the folder needed by another VM, or another file that was put in the folder by something/someone else besides Virtualbox.

On my host, if I put a spurious file in a VM folder then "delete all files", the VM files are deleted, but the VM folder does not get deleted, and the spurious file remains.

Check if there are non-Virtualbox files in the folder. Note that if you find such a file, it may be needed by another VM, so don't just delete it manually without checking it out, or you'll kill the other VM.

Virtualbox will not let you make a new VM with the same name in /home/User/virtualbox VM until the folder is manually deleted.
camvirt

Post by camvirt »

This occurred on MX-21.1 After reinstallation of Virtualbox 7 it performed the delete function properly.
scottgus1
Site Moderator
Primary OS: MS Windows 10
VBox Version: PUEL
Guest OSses: Windows, Linux

Post by scottgus1 »

camvirt wrote:This occurred on MX-21.1
Yes, I gathered that:
camvirt wrote:I am using 7.0.4 of virtualbox running on MX-21 linux
Did you upgrade to the Official Virtualbox from Virtualbox.org? Or are you still using the fork like in your other topics? We don't support the forks here. Please post a zipped log from your 7.0.4 VM so we can check the source of Virtualbox on your PC.