Cannot move one VM by dragging it at all

Discussions related to using VirtualBox on Linux hosts.
davidortenn79

Cannot move one VM by dragging it at all

Post by davidortenn79 »

I am running Linux Mint. I have 3 different Windows 10 VMs. Two of them, when I start them up, they work just fine. I can maximize the console and I can drag the console around the screen. The one I'm trying to get in now, it will not drag. I can double click the top bar and it maximizes on my main screen. But, I want to move it to another monitor. If I double click it again, it goes back to a window. If I then left click drag the top bar, it doesn't move at all. It's stuck in the dead center of my main window. Any ideas?
scottgus1
Site Moderator
Primary OS: MS Windows 10
VBox Version: PUEL
Guest OSses: Windows, Linux

Re: Cannot move one VM by dragging it at all

Post by scottgus1 »

Are you saying that you can move windows around for other apps, including Virtualbox VM windows, on your host, but you cannot move this one particular VM window? Unless this particular window is full size or maximized, that's not something Virtualbox can influence. Try changing the VM OS's screen size to make the VM window smaller. Aside form that, you'd have to ask your OS help channels to see if there is a way to lock a window to a particular location, and see if you have locked this VM's window somehow.
davidortenn79

Post by davidortenn79 »

It's all of the VMs now. Wherever the open on the screen, I can maximize or change it to a window. But, when it's a window, I cannot move them. Although, when I was attempting to remove it a minute ago, the launcher crashed. Right after that, I could move one of the windows for a few seconds. Then it quit again.
davidortenn79

Post by davidortenn79 »

Ok, I found a trick... or odd way to get windows to move. I have to open up shell, use ps ax to get the process number for mintmenu. I then kill the process. When I do that, I can move a VM window once. As soon as I let up on the mouse button, I cant move it again unless I kill the process.
scottgus1
Site Moderator
Primary OS: MS Windows 10
VBox Version: PUEL
Guest OSses: Windows, Linux

Post by scottgus1 »

This sounds like a host OS issue rather than a Virtualbox issue. Virtualbox is only handling what goes in the window, the host is handling the window itself.

Try asking on the help forums of your OS.