Guest freeze after Ubuntu LTS upgrade 20.04 -> 22.04

Discussions related to using VirtualBox on Linux hosts.
AnKe43

Guest freeze after Ubuntu LTS upgrade 20.04 -> 22.04

Post by AnKe43 »

I recently upgraded my Linux installation, where I'm running a Windows 10 guest in VirtualBox.

While I haven't changed anything on the hardware itself nor on the Windows guest (apart from usual updates), the guest now frequently freezes or at least doesn't show any response, mainly connected to mouse events. Given the attached log, after booting I tried to open the devices menu first, where the menu entry got highlighted afterwards, but didn't show / allow me to choose any options, like inserting guest ISO. Second was double click on a desktop icon, but no response there in Windows at all. Any ideas / help where to continue the troubleshooting?

Thanks
Andreas
Attachments
Windows 10-2022-08-16-10-10-46.zip
(36.95 KiB) Downloaded 10 times
fth0
Volunteer
Primary OS: Mac OS X other
VBox Version: PUEL
Guest OSses: Linux, Windows 10, ...

Re: Guest freeze after Ubuntu LTS upgrade 20.04 -> 22.04

Post by fth0 »

Ubuntu 22.04 defaults to Wayland. As a workaround, try using X11 instead.

If you like to further analyze the issue, you could try to use xwininfo and xev to check if an invisible overlay window exists that "steals" the mouse events.

In any case, please report back what you discover.
AnKe43

Post by AnKe43 »

Thanks for pointing me there. When can I expect VirtualBox to be properly working on Wayland and / or are there known tricks / workarounds?
mpack
Site Moderator
Primary OS: MS Windows 10
Guest OSses: Mostly XP

Post by mpack »

AnKe43 wrote:When can I expect VirtualBox to be properly working on Wayland
Only the devs can answer questions about the future, and they almost never do. These are user self help forums.
mthwbrwn

Post by mthwbrwn »

@mpack
Hi - just want to add that I am having the same issue, and that the mouse click issue causes another host (Kali) to have the same click issue, as well as the VBox Manager itself. The problem seems to start when I am in Windows10, though I am fairly certain that it has everything to do with my recent Ubuntu 22.04 upgrade as you had stated. :x
I'll look into moving away from Wayland to see if that is a fix and will report back.

I am including my logs here in case they have some value.
Attachments
vbox.zip
(43.61 KiB) Downloaded 9 times
mpack
Site Moderator
Primary OS: MS Windows 10
Guest OSses: Mostly XP

Post by mpack »

I am including my logs here in case they have some value.
The main things the log tells me is:
  1. You are not using VirtualBox, you are using the third party (Ubuntu) build from the open sources - we only support official VirtualBox here.
  2. You are not using the current version (6.1.36), you are using 6.1.34. 6.1.36 contains important changes needed to make it compatible with newer Linux kernels.
  3. You have a mismatched extension pack (6.1.16), a serious no-no.
  4. Just to add to the jolly fun, you have a GAs CD mounted from 6.1.26.
  5. And the installed GAs are 6.1.26 too.
  6. The Windows guest really needs a second CPU core - but not more.
Please install the latest version from this site, not from the Ubuntu repo. There is no need to seek out a GAs CD download - the correct one comes bundled with VirtualBox (meaning the real software, not the tribute band versions).
mthwbrwn

Post by mthwbrwn »

Thank you @mpack for reviewing my logs. I'll definitely address the version issues you brought up (and the extensions) . I also wanted to say that your suggestion (or work around) for removing Wayland worked immediately for the issues I was having with the loss of mouse control.

Wayland also was not playing nice with tweaks which I had set up to disable the touchpad whenever an external mouse is plugged in. So that works now too.