No more boot from CD/DVD/ISO image

Discussions related to using VirtualBox on Linux hosts.
ccs.markm
Primary OS: openSUSE
VBox Version: OSE other
Guest OSses: Windows

No more boot from CD/DVD/ISO image

Post by ccs.markm »

Running VirtualBox 4.1.8.
I've installed several guests on my Linux host, and they all work just fine, that's not the problem.
I wanted to test something so I tried to have a guest boot from the CD/DVD disk (wanted to try some Console Repair things on a Windows XP image).
It ignored the CD entirely and booted directly to the XP image, treid again and the same thing. I've confirmed this behaviour for every guest on my Linux host and also on my Windows host. It seems that once an image/guest OS is sucessfully created VirtualBox will no longer boot from the CD/DVD (or even and ISO image) for the device.
I haven't tried this on earlier versions so I don't know if it is only peculiar to this version or not.
Has any one else seen this behavior? Is it supposed to work this way? Why would it be designed to work this way?
Perryg
Site Moderator
Primary OS: Linux other
VBox Version: OSE self-compiled
Guest OSses: *NIX

Re: No more boot from CD/DVD/ISO image

Post by Perryg »

GUI or CLI?

Have you verified that the hosts CD/DVD is actually mounted in the guest settings?
ccs.markm

Post by ccs.markm »

From the GUI. Yes it always shows up after the VM boots. 'Nother oddity, if I remove the .vdi from the Storage tree it will boot from the CD/DVD or ISO, curiouser and curiouser.
Perryg
Site Moderator
Primary OS: Linux other
VBox Version: OSE self-compiled
Guest OSses: *NIX

Post by Perryg »

What about the boot order in the guest settings? Has that been changed.
Can you press F12 at the boot screen and choose the CD/DVD?
ccs.markm

Post by ccs.markm »

I've checked the boot order of course, always make sure CD/DVD is at top of list, doesn't help, even unchecking everything but the CD/DVD doesn't help.
That's another oddity, don't get the F12 prompt, pressing it anyway doesn't work. Thinking about it I only seem to get the F12 prompt the first time I create a new VM.
larrym82
Primary OS: Debian other
VBox Version: OSE Debian
Guest OSses: WindowsXP Pro

Post by larrym82 »

I may be speaking out of turn, but I had a problem booting from CD while attempting to reinstall an XP Pro system over an existing one. It turned out to be that I wasn't capturing the Press Any Key to Boot from CD <anykey>. I solved the problem by pressing the right hand of the two ctrl buttons on the keyboard first, thus transferring capture to the VirtualBox machine. From there the <anykey> allowed me to boot from the CD.

Hopefully I've understood your problem correctly and this helps.

Regards,
Larry
WhrlpoolMind

Post by WhrlpoolMind »

My machine did not start from CD image nor from the hosts optical drive. I removed both the hard drive and the optical drive, then added an IDE optical drive and attached the hard drive as a SATA drive. After that, the VM could boot from my CD drive. Not the best solution, but I could install the OS. However, the VM could not start from a CD image even after this modification.
mpack
Site Moderator
Primary OS: MS Windows 10
VBox Version: PUEL
Guest OSses: Mostly XP

Post by mpack »

This topic is from 2011. Please start your own topic.