Win10 doesn't run on virtualbox after USB devices added

Discussions related to using VirtualBox on Linux hosts.
makalister

Win10 doesn't run on virtualbox after USB devices added

Post by makalister »

Hi,

I'm using Ubuntu 22.04 and install virtualbox to run windows10. I need windows10 for Garmin maps management and for REW measuring. For these two programs I have to connect by USB the garmin and umic microphone.
I followed up a tutorial to add USB devices in virtualbox (add extension pack, vboxusers group created and my user added, usb devices added). I run windows on virtualbox but it doesn't start up. Just shows me an error like the attached image.
How can I solve it? What am I doing wrong?

Regards
Attachments
Captura desde 2022-08-19 09-18-07.png
Captura desde 2022-08-19 09-18-07.png (36.92 KiB) Viewed 1947 times
Volker S

Re: Win10 doesn't run on virtualbox after USB devices added

Post by Volker S »

I have the same error. Stop the VM Windows 10 with the ACPI Shutdown-Order and than goto 'change' (in german 'ändern') and deactivate 'seriell' and 'Usb'.
Than the VM should start. If so, you have to shut down Windows again and you can try to activate the USB.

On my machine it start again, but the USB-input have no reaction. I don't know what it is.
makalister

Post by makalister »

Volker S wrote:I have the same error. Stop the VM Windows 10 with the ACPI Shutdown-Order and than goto 'change' (in german 'ändern') and deactivate 'seriell' and 'Usb'.
Than the VM should start. If so, you have to shut down Windows again and you can try to activate the USB.

On my machine it start again, but the USB-input have no reaction. I don't know what it is.
Hi,

I've tried to make an ACPI shutdown, but can't do it. On machine options, I've got configured out the posibility to make an ACPI shutdown. But when I try to do it no option to click that "button". How must I configure ACPI shutdown?

Thanks and regards
Volker S

Post by Volker S »

Than you have to shut down your VM Windows 10 in the normal way. But my error was, that i ($User) wasn't in group vboxusers.
fth0
Volunteer
Primary OS: Mac OS X other
VBox Version: PUEL
Guest OSses: Linux, Windows 10, ...

Post by fth0 »

There are known issues with VirtualBox 6.1.36 and USB3 devices.

As a workaround, try disconnecting USB3 devices before starting the VM, and re-adding them when the VM is running.

Alternatively, in the VM configuration, disable the USB filters for USB3 devices, start the VM, and capture the devices using the VM window's menu Devices > USB > ....
makalister

Post by makalister »

Issue is that is no way to shutdown VM windows10, nor ACPI shutdown neither VM Windows 10 in the normal way. So actually VM windows10 shows "aborted" condition, can't run or shutdown...

I don't have aviable or selected USB 3.0 devices. I only selected 2.0 USB...
fth0
Volunteer
Primary OS: Mac OS X other
VBox Version: PUEL
Guest OSses: Linux, Windows 10, ...

Post by fth0 »

makalister wrote:I don't have aviable or selected USB 3.0 devices. I only selected 2.0 USB...
Please ignore the difference between USB 3.0 and USB 2.0 for now, and try the ideas I suggested. While we know about problems with the VirtualBox USB 3.0 implementation and USB3 devices, we don't really know if the VirtualBox USB 2.0 implementation and USB2 devices are also affected or not.
makalister

Post by makalister »

fth0 wrote:
makalister wrote:I don't have aviable or selected USB 3.0 devices. I only selected 2.0 USB...
Please ignore the difference between USB 3.0 and USB 2.0 for now, and try the ideas I suggested. While we know about problems with the VirtualBox USB 3.0 implementation and USB3 devices, we don't really know if the VirtualBox USB 2.0 implementation and USB2 devices are also affected or not.
I've changed USB configuration from 2.0 to 1.0. I need to use two devices:

- garmin edge 530 cycling computer: after runing windows10 and connect the garmin, windos shows some error with the garmin. On windows USB configuration I can read "controler error"
- umik-1 microphone: I run REW program to make some measurements. This program uses a microphone + HDMI conection to my avr receiver (arcam avr10). The microphone, connected with USB was recongnized correctly. I have to play some noises with REW (through the avr) but volume is very very low. I put the volume to maximun on windows but still very very low. I don't know if this is soething related to windows or need to configure the HDMI in virtualbox.