Virtualbox repeatedly suddenly aborts

Discussions related to using VirtualBox on Linux hosts.
Vera

Virtualbox repeatedly suddenly aborts

Post by Vera »

I am using Virtualbox 6.1.36 r152435 (Qt5.15.2) with Guest Additions 6.1.22. Host is 64-bit Debian 5.10.113-1, guest is 65-bit Windows 10 Pro Build 19043.1889. Two of my most recent log files, both of which ended with a sudden abort without any error message, are attached.
Windows10-2022-08-18-21-37-58.log
(103.05 KiB) Downloaded 13 times
Windows10-2022-08-15-22-23-07.log
(102.31 KiB) Downloaded 4 times
(Actually my last four log files all end the same way but I am only able to attach two for some reason.)

In each case I was using an external hard drive mounted as a USB device but I've used this same drive for years in the same way and I only started having this issue a few days ago.

I have no idea what is going wrong and can't find any google search results for the last two lines of the log files, "USB suspended" and "Hardware reset". Any ideas?? Where else can I look for more detailed error information?

Thanks in advance.
multiOS
Volunteer
Primary OS: Mac OS X other
VBox Version: PUEL
Guest OSses: WIN11,10, 7, Linux (various)

Re: Virtualbox repeatedly suddenly aborts

Post by multiOS »

Both Logs appear to be truncated and lack any indication of an abort/shutdown. This is possibly because the logs weren't 'zipped' to come within the upload size limit.

As both appear to be almost identical, could you zip just the last log and repost?

Also, is there a specific for staying on Guest Additions 6.1.22? Were you having a problem with a later version?
mpack
Site Moderator
Primary OS: MS Windows 10
Guest OSses: Mostly XP

Post by mpack »

If the VM did suddenly abort then a truncated log might be expected. I note that the last thing in both logs is a hardware reset of the xHCI (USB3) interface, so I suspect that the OP is falling foul of the current USB related bug suspected in 6.1.36. Unfortunately, reverting to previous VirtualBox versions may not be viable either, since .36 is needed for compatibility with latest Linux kernels.

I would disable all USB stuff in the VM recipe, and use an alternative mechanism instead (e.g. shared folders work better than USB sticks anyway).
fth0
Volunteer
Guest OSses: Linux, Windows 10, ...

Post by fth0 »

FWIW, a workaround has been reported for using USB3 devices within VirtualBox 6.1.36 VMs:

In the VM configuration, disable the USB filters for USB3 devices, start the VM, and capture the devices using the VM window's menu Devices > USB > ...
Vera

Post by Vera »

Sorry, I thought I was getting email notifications of replies but apparently not! Thanks very much for your suggestions.

The logs are indeed truncated as shown. Since I posted it looks like there a couple other people having the same abort behavior with the same truncated logs.

Unfortunately for my use case I have to mount the drive as a USB device rather than connecting to it as a shared folder.

I disabled USB3.0 but then the VM fails to mount the drive when I try to capture it via the Devices menu. Is it expected that all USB3 devices able to be mounted with USB2?

Edit: To be more specific, when I select the USB device I get the error message "Failed to attach the USB device [name] to the Virtual Machine Windows10.
Details:
Failed to create a proxy device for the USB device. (Error: VERR_PDM_NO_USB_PORTS).
Result Code: NS_ERROR_FAILURE
Component: ConsoleWrap
Interface: IConsole

The results I can find related to this error suggest that enabling USB3 is the solution. Where can I find more information about the workaround for this bug?
mpack
Site Moderator
Primary OS: MS Windows 10
Guest OSses: Mostly XP

Post by mpack »

Vera wrote: I disabled USB3.0 but then the VM fails to mount the drive when I try to capture it via the Devices menu. Is it expected that all USB3 devices able to be mounted with USB2?
If it's a USB3 device in a USB3 port then it needs to be mounted by a USB3 controller. Fallback to USB2 is about what happens when you put a USB2 device into a USB3 port or vice versa. Note that the physical hardware decides what language the device talks, not VirtualBox. It would work (slowly of course) if you used a USB2 port or hub.
fth0
Volunteer

Post by fth0 »

Vera wrote:Where can I find more information about the workaround for this bug?
You can find two workarounds posted by me in several threads (e.g. Re: Win10 doesn't run on virtualbox after USB devices added).
Vera

Post by Vera »

Thanks for your help. I haven't been able to mount the USB device with any settings but I was able to load an older kernel (5.10.0-13) and install the previous version of virtualbox for the time being (with a workaround to fix a different error with 6.1.34 :). Hopefully there's a fix soon.
fth0
Volunteer

Post by fth0 »

This issue should be fixed in the VirtualBox test builds 6.1.39r153816 and newer.