VirtualBox 6.1.36: Full screen freezing

Discussions related to using VirtualBox on Linux hosts.
Machster
Primary OS: Mac OS X other
VBox Version: OSE other
Guest OSses: OpenSolaris, Windows XP

VirtualBox 6.1.36: Full screen freezing

Post by Machster »

I am having issues with Virtualbox Linux guests on Linux hosts. The hosts are current editions of Manjaro, Fedora, and EndeavourOS. All have the same problem: as soon as I enter the full screen mode on any linux guest, I can no longer click on anything inside the guest. My only option is to revert to windowed mode and close the guest. Even the window menu is unresponsive. There are no issues when the guests are in window mode.

I have tried the guests under a Windows host but there aren't any issues then.

VirtualBox was either installed by repository or by dl from Oracle. The ext pak is also installed. Where possible guest additions are also installed.

Thank you for you input.
fth0
Volunteer
VBox Version: PUEL
Guest OSses: Linux, Windows 10, ...

Re: VirtualBox 6.1.36: Full screen freezing

Post by fth0 »

I'd suggest to use xev to check for the mouse events and xwininfo to check for invisible overlay windows.
Machster
VBox Version: OSE other
Guest OSses: OpenSolaris, Windows XP

Post by Machster »

Thanks for that th0. I am running wayland on all linux hosts which is necessary for my screen setup. However, you got me thinking to check the full screen mode under X. Sure enough - VB works fine.

Apparently, this has been a known issue with wayland for at least 3 years. The workaround is to disable the mini Toolbar in the VM's settings panel.
fth0
Volunteer
VBox Version: PUEL
Guest OSses: Linux, Windows 10, ...

Post by fth0 »

Thanks for reporting back! :)

AFAIK, the state of Wayland support in VirtualBox depends on XWayland being used. But I'm not sure about that, I just haven't heard of VirtualBox supporting Wayland without XWayland.