How to disable focus mode sound?

Discussions related to using VirtualBox on Linux hosts.
CyberPentester

How to disable focus mode sound?

Post by CyberPentester »

Hi, I only joined here because I could not find this issue anywhere. I am running VirtualBox 6.1.34 (latest version) and a Kali Linux VM (pretty sure the OS is not the issue here).

I am having this annoying windows 10 error sound every time I click in or out of focus of the VM window. Other keyboard actions make the sound as well.

Please tell me that there is a way to disable this sound.

Thanks.
scottgus1
Site Moderator
Primary OS: MS Windows 10
VBox Version: PUEL
Guest OSses: Windows, Linux

Re: How to disable focus mode sound?

Post by scottgus1 »

This one sounds unusual (pun intended). The focus change seems to be triggering a Windows sound event. But this doesn't normally happen.

Please provide the following:

1. Start the VM from full normal shutdown, not save-state. Run until you see the problem happen, then shut down the VM from within the VM's OS if possible. If not possible, close the Virtualbox window for the VM with the Power Off option set.

Right-click the VM in the main Virtualbox window's VM list, choose Show Log. Save the far left tab's log, zip it, and post the zip file, using the forum's Upload Attachment tab.

2. Right-click the VM in the main Virtualbox window's VM list, choose Show in Explorer/Finder/File Manager. Zip the VM's .vbox file (not the .vbox-prev file), and post the zip file, using the forum's Upload Attachment tab. (Configure your host OS to show all extensions if the folder that opens does not show a .vbox file.)
CyberPentester

Post by CyberPentester »

Figured it out after some thinking. I am using an App called "Keyboard LEDs" so I can easily tell when CAPS LOCK is on. It seems that it triggers the beep sound every time I click into or outside the VM. I have disabled the beep from the app itself and no it longer plays. Sorry for thinking this was an issue with VirtualBox.
scottgus1
Site Moderator
Primary OS: MS Windows 10
VBox Version: PUEL
Guest OSses: Windows, Linux

Post by scottgus1 »

No problem! Glad you kept up the hunt and found a solution!