pfsense issue on root mount

Discussions related to using VirtualBox on Windows hosts.
NomadNightmare

pfsense issue on root mount

Post by NomadNightmare »

I have had pfsense running on VitualBox (windows 10) for a couple months for learning purposes, but yesterday I started having an issue where it would not load past root mounting. It appears to have an issue with CAM usbus0. Is there a way to fix this? I tried a new virtual machine this morning with the same results.

I have a screen shot of the issue when it happens attached and can upload logs if needed.
Attachments
Screenshot 2022-06-27 081427.png
Screenshot 2022-06-27 081427.png (73.86 KiB) Viewed 1602 times
scottgus1
Site Moderator
Primary OS: MS Windows 10
VBox Version: PUEL
Guest OSses: Windows, Linux

Re: pfsense issue on root mount

Post by scottgus1 »

Start the VM from full normal shutdown, not save-state. Run until you see the problem happen, then shut down the VM from within the VM's OS if possible. If not possible, close the Virtualbox window for the VM with the Power Off option set.

Right-click the VM in the main Virtualbox window's VM list, choose Show Log. Save the far left tab's log, zip it, and post the zip file, using the forum's Upload Attachment tab.
NomadNightmare

Post by NomadNightmare »

scottgus1 wrote:Start the VM from full normal shutdown, not save-state. Run until you see the problem happen, then shut down the VM from within the VM's OS if possible. If not possible, close the Virtualbox window for the VM with the Power Off option set.

Right-click the VM in the main Virtualbox window's VM list, choose Show Log. Save the far left tab's log, zip it, and post the zip file, using the forum's Upload Attachment tab.
I had tried that this morning but had the same effect. I have added the logs from this mornings attempt at running pfsense.
Attachments
pfsense-2022-06-27-08-55-08.zip
(60.9 KiB) Downloaded 7 times
scottgus1
Site Moderator
Primary OS: MS Windows 10
Guest OSses: Windows, Linux

Post by scottgus1 »

NomadNightmare wrote:pfsense running on VitualBox (windows 10)
The log says you're running 11, I don't know if that's a new change:
Host OS:
00:00:02.044722 OS Product: Windows 11
00:00:02.044722 OS Release: 10.0.22000
Your little guru meditated on "VERR_NEM_IPE_3", which doesn't come up much. However, Hyper-V is enabled. If that's a new development, it may be getting in the way. See HMR3Init: Attempting fall back to NEM (Hyper-V is active).

Alternatively try adding a processor to the VM. it only has one now, and some folks get restored operation when there's two.
NomadNightmare

Post by NomadNightmare »

Just checked and I guess it is windows 11. I don't know when it upgraded as I never did. Bought with 10 and never wanted 11 yet. Changed hypervisor and added a processor as described and everything is running again. If my laptop did upgrade to 11 some how could that have changed the settings with VirtualBox?
multiOS
Volunteer
Primary OS: Mac OS X other
Guest OSses: WIN11,10, 7, Linux (various)

Post by multiOS »

If my laptop did upgrade to 11 some how could that have changed the settings with VirtualBox?
I you had previously de-activated Hyper-V on Windows 10, then an upgrade to Windows 11 is likely to have interpreted the de-activated Hyper-V installation as a software fault and, in performing the upgrade, would have 'repaired' the installation by re-activating the feature. This also frequently occurs with so-called 'feature' updates.
NomadNightmare

Post by NomadNightmare »

multiOS wrote:
If my laptop did upgrade to 11 some how could that have changed the settings with VirtualBox?
I you had previously de-activated Hyper-V on Windows 10, then an upgrade to Windows 11 is likely to have interpreted the de-activated Hyper-V installation as a software fault and, in performing the upgrade, would have 'repaired' the installation by re-activating the feature. This also frequently occurs with so-called 'feature' updates.
Makes sense. Appreciate your help with this issue. I have little to no understanding of VB as I usually just run Fedora as my daily and use my other laptop for educational purposes.