Problem with Windows 10

Discussions related to using VirtualBox on Linux hosts.
Jerry N

Problem with Windows 10

Post by Jerry N »

Using virtualbox on Linux Mint LMDE5 and Linux Mint Version 20.3. I installed Windows 10 Pro and it runs but I get a message that the guest OS does not support mouse point integration in the current video mode. Because of this, I cannot install guest additions. Any help available on this?
scottgus1
Site Moderator
Primary OS: MS Windows 10
VBox Version: PUEL
Guest OSses: Windows, Linux

Re: Problem with Windows 10

Post by scottgus1 »

Jerry N wrote:mouse point integration
That's probably "Mouse Integration", and it only means that the mouse will 'get stuck' in the VM and not come out until the VM completely shuts down or the Host key on the keyboard is tapped.

Not having Mouse Integration does not prevent installing Guest Additions in the VM. See https://www.virtualbox.org/manual/ch04. ... ns-windows

Interestingly, if the mouse setting in the VM's settings is 'USB Tablet', the Mouse Integration ought to be automatic without requiring Guest Additions.
Jerry N

Post by Jerry N »

Hitting the right control key does not help. The display in the lower right corner shows the mouse turning on and off when hitting the right control key but the mouse is still trapped in the VM. By the way, I have no trouble at all running Win 7 and Win 8.1 in a virtual box. I think I will re-install Windows 10. This is my first attempt at installing Windows 10 since I was a "Windows Insider" several years ago. I thought Win 10 was crap then and my opinion of it is not improving!
scottgus1
Site Moderator

Post by scottgus1 »

Lots of folks run 10 in a VM sans trouble. There's a few tweaks to make generally.

When you redo the install, make a new VM too. Don't change any settings except to make the processor count 2 instead of 1, and make regular RAM 2-4GB, video RAM 128MB. Then install the OS and GAs.
Jerry N

Post by Jerry N »

I had the processor count set to 4 (This computer has a Ryzen 5 with 6 cores, 12 threads) and 8gb RAM (I have 32gb). I have deleted Windows 10 and will probably try again some time but for now I have other things to spend my time on. I have Win 8.1 running in Virtualbox on my other computer for those times when I just must have an internet connected Windows OS (like for my tax software at tax time).

Thank your for your time and your kind assistance.

Jerry
scottgus1
Site Moderator

Post by scottgus1 »

More processors in a VM does let the VM OS do more things at the same time, but they don't help the VM do those things faster. In fact, more processors actually slows the VM down just a hint. 2 processors is an optimum setup for modern OS's in a VM.

If you ever try 10 again, please let us know what glitches you have. Very often there are fixes.