How to upgrade extention pack from 6.1.10 to Oracle_VM_VirtualBox_Extension_Pack-6.1.34.vbox-extpack

Discussions related to using VirtualBox on Linux hosts.
Makarios
Primary OS: Linux other
VBox Version: OSE other
Guest OSses: WIn10

How to upgrade extention pack from 6.1.10 to Oracle_VM_VirtualBox_Extension_Pack-6.1.34.vbox-extpack

Post by Makarios »

Hi I have upgraded my Virtual box to Version 6.1.34 r150636 (Qt5.12.8)

I am running a Linux mint 20.3 Cinamon as host and a win10 client.

However in my Win 10 client, I still have the extension pack for 6.10 installed.

I dont seem to be able to find the download for the iso for the 6.1.34 extention pack.

I am able to download the "Oracle_VM_VirtualBox_Extension_Pack-6.1.34.vbox-extpack"

can someone just asst with how to get the extension pack in win10 upgraded from 6.1.10 to 6.1.34?
scottgus1
Site Moderator
Primary OS: MS Windows 10
VBox Version: PUEL
Guest OSses: Windows, Linux

Re: How to upgrade extention pack from 6.1.10 to Oracle_VM_VirtualBox_Extension_Pack-6.1.34.vbox-ext

Post by scottgus1 »

Virtualbox has two extra files for enhancing the operation of Virtualbox and the VMs (guests):
  • The Extension Pack: This goes on the host PC ( not inside the VM). It is installed in the main Virtualbox window, File menu, Preferences, Extensions tab. You may need to start Virtualbox with administrator-level privileges to get the Extension Pack to install, or Virtualbox may ask for such privileges during the install.)
  • The Guest Additions: These come as an ISO bundled with official Virtualbox from http://www.virtualbox.org. They are installed inside the VM, the guest ( not on the host). When the VM's Devices menu "Insert Guest Additions CD Image" command is used, the ISO gets inserted into the VM's empty virtual 'CD drive', and the VM's OS can run the installer through the CD drive. Official Virtualbox already has the ISO in place and knows where it is to use it.

Note that The Linux distros' forks of Virtualbox do not always have the ISO installed. If you get a warning that you have to download the Guest Additions, you're using a fork, not Official Virtualbox, and you might have to switch to official to get help on this forum. We technically support only official, not the forks.
Makarios wrote:I dont seem to be able to find the download for the iso for the 6.1.34 extention pack.
The Extension Pack doesn't come as an ISO; it is a zip-style file, whose contents are merely unzipped by Virtualbox into a particular host folder. There is no actual "install" process, like apt-get does.

From the above, you'll see that you've got your terminology mixed up:
Makarios wrote: in my Win 10 client, I still have the extension pack for 6.10 installed.
You'll be meaning "Guest Additions", not "Extension Pack".
Makarios wrote:how to get the extension pack Guest Additions in win10 upgraded from 6.1.10 to 6.1.34
In the windowed VM's Devices menu, choose "Insert Guest Additions CD Image", then run the installer from Windows 10's CD drive.
Makarios

Re: How to upgrade extention pack from 6.1.10 to Oracle_VM_VirtualBox_Extension_Pack-6.1.34.vbox-ext

Post by Makarios »

Ok you are 100% my terminology got a bit muddled up.

Sorry for being clueless, but where is the VM's Devices menu?
Makarios

Post by Makarios »

Ok No worries I found it.. My menus was not displaying - hence i could not find it.

what is the best way to display with 2 x Uwide monitors, so I can have it full screen on the one monitor, with the menu
visible at the top?
scottgus1
Site Moderator
Primary OS: MS Windows 10
VBox Version: PUEL
Guest OSses: Windows, Linux

Post by scottgus1 »

Take a look at the full-screen VM monitor's Virtualbox pop-up mini-toolbar. It has a full menu bar with all commands available.