7 year old Stripe window bug remains in 6.1.34

Discussions related to using VirtualBox on Linux hosts.
SpahZ_

7 year old Stripe window bug remains in 6.1.34

Post by SpahZ_ »

So new experiment . . new slack v15 OS, new 5.17.9 Kernel . . new X.Org 1.20.14
VboxGuiSlitWindowBugSm.jpg
VboxGuiSlitWindowBugSm.jpg (61.43 KiB) Viewed 1472 times
And starting the 6.1.34 Vbox GUI . . right there is the post version 5.0.2 geometry glitch that dorked things in Sep 2015

. . and then a mickysoft-style band-aid force-it patch, shoves in a spackled on geometry glitch fix
to force a workable window geometery.

viewtopic.php?f=7&t=78607&sd=d
viewtopic.php?f=7&t=74683&sd=d
viewtopic.php?f=7&t=74790

Versions 5.0.2 and earlier are free from this 7 year old bug
scottgus1
Site Moderator
Primary OS: MS Windows 10
VBox Version: PUEL
Guest OSses: Windows, Linux

Re: 7 year old Stripe window bug remains in 6.1.34

Post by scottgus1 »

I note that you've had a long-standing issue with odd-size Virtualbox VM windows. Let's see if we can't get this pinned down. (I'll point out I'm no Linux guru, but logs and .vbox files might help those who know what they're doing get some data to work with.)

First:
SpahZ_ wrote:new slack v15 OS, new 5.17.9 Kernel . . new X.Org 1.20.14
I'm not certain if Slackware is an official supported host OS. A Linux guru will let us know, hopefully.

I see you have a fresh new OS. Was this an upgrade, or a complete fresh install on an empty or reformatted disk? If an upgrade, there may be a borked setting in the old OS contributing to this. I wonder how a fresh OS would act.

Also possibly pertinent: Are you starting with a fresh Virtualbox install without any old VMs or config files from older attempts? Old Virtualbox files might have a similar bork.

If you can try a fresh Slackware install and a fresh Virtualbox with a fresh VM, it can help us try to pin this down.

If you're already running a fresh new setup, please provide a zipped VM log and .vbox file:

Start the VM from full normal shutdown, not save-state. Run until you see the problem happen, then shut down the VM from within the VM's OS if possible. If not possible, close the Virtualbox window for the VM with the Power Off option set.

Right-click the VM in the main Virtualbox window's VM list, choose Show Log. Save the far left tab's log, zip it, and post the zip file, using the forum's Upload Attachment tab.

Right-click the VM in the main Virtualbox window's VM list, choose Show in Explorer/Finder/File Manager. Zip the VM's .vbox file (not the .vbox-prev file), and post the zip file, using the forum's Upload Attachment tab. (Configure your host OS to show all extensions if the folder that opens does not show a .vbox file.)
SpahZ_

Post by SpahZ_ »

Yeah i can do that again , but V 5.0.2 and earlier, the display code is glitch free, seamless works so well it will nicely place the windows task-menubar stacked on top of the linux bar, a nice touch. . windowed with auto-resize smooth and uneventful.

Then post 5.0.2 it blew up.

Amazing to see it still present in the latest GUI code, with the slit window appearing on a fresh root volume at window init
, that queer behavior at the beginning before the Spackle-over-the glitch-fix kicks in - is the still broken code - something was done between version 5.0.2 and the following version, and that code is still broken.

Its likely many of the linux folk simply wandered away because that breakage was retained rather than rolled back.

The latest kernel VB 4.3.40 will compile against is linux-4.7.10, and like VB versions 5.0.2 and earlier the window geometry had not been broken yet. so those of us still around have been using that.

Thru 7 years of normal flow of new versions of glibc gcc et al. and 4 hardware upgrades, that 7 year old breakage post 5.0.2
is still in there . . thats amazing.

BTW , , there is only one "Linux" . . the variation is only packaging differences.
scottgus1
Site Moderator

Post by scottgus1 »

I'm afraid I'll have to say it:

No logs, no answers, no help.

No one will be able to help fix 6.1.34 with 5.0.4's logs. And you have not addressed any of my questions regarding the newness or oldness of your PC's OS or Virtualbox data.

I realize you're upset over the situation. But this forum is not the place for your rants. Take those to Wordpress. If you want help, you will abide by the suggestions and requests of those who offer to help.

Now, please address my questions and request for an up-to-date log and .vbox file. The 'Lock' finger is hovering.
SpahZ_

Post by SpahZ_ »

Hey no problem,, im gone from here . .
scottgus1
Site Moderator

Post by scottgus1 »

Too bad, I really did want to try to help. Very well, so be it.