Mouse stops working when clicking on mini-toolbar within full-screen-mode

Discussions related to using VirtualBox on Linux hosts.
Starbase12

Mouse stops working when clicking on mini-toolbar within full-screen-mode

Post by Starbase12 »

Dear all,

I'm not sure how to explain the problem so that it's understandable for everyone.

As soon as I start any VM (either directly in full screen mode or switch to full screen mode later) and try to use the mouse to click something at the Virtualbox mini-toolbar the menue freezes most of the time. I can't click anything what is related to a virtualbox process. From this point on I can only regain control of the mouse very awkwardly. I have two opportunities: 1x Bring the VM back in window-mode. 1x shutdown/exit the VM. Sometimes it works to exit full screen mode using the key combination HOST + F. However, sometimes I have to press HOST-key twice to then end the entire VM using ALT + F4. As soon as the VM is closed I'm able to use the mouse within virtualbox processes again.

Virtual machine settings don't matter. It is enough to create a new, empty VM and start it. The problem occurs identically on other (fully functional) VMs. Also regardless of Windows or Linux. The only workaround I have is to not put the VM in full screen mode. I'm now using the maximized window mode.

Environment:
- Kernel: 5.10.0-11-amd64
- Virtualbox: 6.1.32 r149290 (Qt5.15.2)
- GuestAdditions: 6.1.32r149290
- Desktop: GNOME 3.38.4

Thanks in advanced.
Chris
Starbase12

Re: Mouse stops working when clicking on mini-toolbar within full-screen-mode

Post by Starbase12 »

I updated to latest testing build of virtualbox + guest extension but that didn't help.

But changing the Desktop on Debian logon-screen from "GNOME" (was the default setting) to "System X11 default" helped. I don't understand why that's working but it works. Maybe someone can explain this to me?
scottgus1
Site Moderator
Primary OS: MS Windows 10
VBox Version: PUEL
Guest OSses: Windows, Linux

Post by scottgus1 »

Sorry, looks like we missed this one.
Starbase12 wrote:changing the Desktop on Debian logon-screen from "GNOME" (was the default setting) to "System X11 default" helped.
I'm no Virtualbox-on-Linux guru, but I vaguely remember that Virtualbox can be a little squiffly on Wayland. Was your Gnome influenced by Wayland?
manix

Post by manix »

scottgus1 wrote:Sorry, looks like we missed this one.
Starbase12 wrote:changing the Desktop on Debian logon-screen from "GNOME" (was the default setting) to "System X11 default" helped.
I'm no Virtualbox-on-Linux guru, but I vaguely remember that Virtualbox can be a little squiffly on Wayland. Was your Gnome influenced by Wayland?
Wayland session is definitely the trouble maker here.

I am on fedora 35 using the latest VirtualBox in 6.1 series with a kali linux guest facing the same issue on default Wayland session of KDE or Gnome.

Switching to X11 versions on either desktop resolves. Apparently Wayland is still work in progress on its road to maturity. Atleast we have the choice to fallback on a decades old technology to resolve and move on ahead in life with the work at hand !