[Solved] All VMs fail to launch - The machine execution has been stopped

Discussions related to using VirtualBox on Linux hosts.
Harris

[Solved] All VMs fail to launch - The machine execution has been stopped

Post by Harris »

Hello folks.

I have around 10 different VMs on my machine at the moment and this morning when I went to boot one of them it failed to launch with what looks like a common issue but with various fixes. "A critical error has occurred while running the virtual machine and the machine execution has been stopped."

I thought perhaps it was a single VM that had been corrupted but I tried to boot any of the 10 VMs and they all fail. These VMs are a mix of Windows and Linux and running on my Kubuntu 20.04 LTS Host. I haven't performed any kind of manual update since they VMs were last working and the system hasn't changed in regards to hardware. As far as I know the system should have no issue running these VMs from a hardware perspective as they were all running fine up until recently.

I've attached the most recent the log file from one of my VMs that fails to load in the hope that something in it will help me narrow down the issue as the log file to me means very little. If anyone has time and knowledge to take a look at the log an perhaps point me in the right direction then I would appreciate it

If I provide any other information then I am more than happy to

Thank you
Attachments
output.zip
(61.39 KiB) Downloaded 12 times
mpack
Site Moderator
Primary OS: MS Windows 10
VBox Version: PUEL
Guest OSses: Mostly XP

Re: All VMs fail to launch - The machine execution has been stopped

Post by mpack »

00:00:00.582162 VirtualBox VM 6.1.22_Ubuntu r144080 linux.amd64 (Jun 22 2021 07:15:58) release log
You are not using VirtualBox, you are using Ubuntu's fork of VirtualBox, and an old copy at that. Please demonstrate that the same problem still exists with actual (current) VirtualBox and we can discuss it here.

But just as a friendly tip: yours looks like a known problem that official VirtualBox fixed in 6.1.24.
Harris

Post by Harris »

I didn't realise I was using a fork. Thanks for the clarification. I will install from the website and test again
Harris

Post by Harris »

I might have done a little more damage..

When I try to boot one of the VMs using Oracle official version im getting the following

The VirtualBox kernel modules do not match this version of VirtualBox. The installation of VirtualBox was apparently not successful. Executing

'/sbin/vboxconfig'

may correct this. Make sure that you are not mixing builds of VirtualBox from different sources.

where: supR3HardenedMainInitRuntime what: 4 VERR_VM_DRIVER_VERSION_MISMATCH (-1912) - The installed support driver doesn't match the version of the user.
mpack
Site Moderator

Post by mpack »

It looks like you didn't clear away all remnents of the fork before you installed official VirtualBox.

You'll have to wait for a Linux user to offer advice on how to proceed.
Harris

Post by Harris »

I made sure to remove and purge the Ubuntu version of VirtualBox and reinstall the one I downloaded from Oracle

Looks like this has allowed me to boot my VMs once again... Thanks for the help!
mpack
Site Moderator

Post by mpack »

I'm glad you're up and running again, and presumably this means that the original problem was solved as well. I'll mark the topic that way.
Harris

Re: [Solved] All VMs fail to launch - The machine execution has been stopped

Post by Harris »

Thats correct thank you