Trying to install Anaconda on the VirtualBox Machine

Discussions related to using VirtualBox on Linux hosts.
JérémyNgo

Trying to install Anaconda on the VirtualBox Machine

Post by JérémyNgo »

Hello,

I am a french engineering student and I'm trying to install Anaconda a Python distribution for a school project on the VirtualMachine on Linux.

However I ran into some problem after launching the Anaconda installer .sh.

I followed the instructions from Anaconda official website.

I got a critical error after reaching 68 % of the installation process of Anaconda.

How can I upload my logs and the screenshot of my issue ?
The bot won't allow me to do so because the file are too heavy.
JérémyNgo

Re: Trying to install Anaconda on the VirtualBox Machine

Post by JérémyNgo »

I packed the logs and the screen in a WinRar files.

Please download and open it in order te view theses files.
Logs.rar
Files that contains my logs and the screenshot of the issue I ran into.
(189.29 KiB) Downloaded 8 times
mpack
Site Moderator
Primary OS: MS Windows 10
VBox Version: PUEL
Guest OSses: Mostly XP

Post by mpack »

You are trying to dedicate 8GB RAM to a virtual machine, when the host PC has 8GB RAM in total and needs most of that to run Windows 10. That obviously isn't going to work.
00:00:04.886218 Host RAM: 8090MB (7.9GB) total, 2639MB (2.5GB) available
00:00:05.190932 RamSize <integer> = 0x0000000200000000 (8 589 934 592, 8 192 MB, 8.0 GB)
00:00:05.191226 VRamSize <integer> = 0x0000000001000000 (16 777 216, 16 MB)
00:00:05.190929 NumCPUs <integer> = 0x0000000000000001 (1)
The fundamental idea of a VM is that extra resources which would otherwise lie idle, can be used to run a second OS and made to do work. But first you need to have those idle resources.

To be completely frank, your PC is poorly equipped to run two 64bit OS's at the same time. The most you can afford to dedicate is 1024MB RAM, though I would also increase graphics RAM to 64MB, and I would add a second CPU core. And keep an eye on host resource usage, particularly RAM. Don't have apps open if they aren't needed.
JérémyNgo

Post by JérémyNgo »

Oh I see.

So to be clear I can't install Anaconda on my laptop because it doesn't have enough RAM ?

Since I cannot upgrade or change any component of my laptop I won't be able to get any more ressources.

Thank you for your reply.
mpack
Site Moderator
Primary OS: MS Windows 10
VBox Version: PUEL
Guest OSses: Mostly XP

Post by mpack »

JérémyNgo wrote: So to be clear I can't install Anaconda on my laptop because it doesn't have enough RAM ?
No, I mean that you can't run this Linux VM because you set the virtual machine spec way too high, much more than your host PC can afford.

If you make the modifications I suggested earlier (change to 1024MB RAM, 2 CPU cores, 64MB graphics RAM) then the Linux VM should at least run, and then you can install any software you like within it, e.g. Anaconda.

Incidentally: locating a VDI on an external drive is not exactly recommended, but it should work provided the external drive is an SSD or mechanical drive. You should not attempt to run a VM from a USB flash drive since those are designed to carry data around, not to be written to continuously. If you try to do the latter then the drive will usually overheat and/or hit their erase cycle limits and die quite quickly.

Another note: if you are going to locate the VDI on an external drive then best practice is to locate the entire VM there, not break the VM file set into fragments.
JérémyNgo

Post by JérémyNgo »

Alright I will try to do that with the help of my teacher.

I will post any news here, thank you again for yours answers, you helped me a lot.